Thursday, November 27, 2008

Exchange Rate 11-24

Life just keeps getting better. I’m noticing that you can’t really believe the signs in the windows of the banks; the exchange rate they give is not necessarily what you’ll encounter once inside, for better or for worse. However, my bank- Santander (which is affiliated with Bank of America, an account I opened up just for this trip to avoid ATM fees)- never has a posted sign. I have to just go get money when I need it and deal with the rate.
Since the end of the month is coming up, and since Mabel is traveling to Tucson Thursday for a shopping trip, I needed to take out rent money: 3000 pesos. I checked my account to see how much was in there, and decided to go ahead and take out a little more. I had some money from a withdrawal at the bus stop (this bus line only took cash), but didn’t want to have to return to the ATM again in the same week. The bank isn’t far, but it means getting off the bus on the way home, which usually means tacos or churros, and let’s be honest; I don’t need that!

I took out 4000 pesos and was interested to see the rate I got. I didn’t have internet, so I had to wait until a trip to the mall. It only withdrew 280 dollars. I got a rate of a little more than 13.9! Wow. If I’d had more money in that account (or my other for that matter), I would have withdrawn more more more! As it were, Comexus still owes me for my roundtrip ticket from Nashville to here as well as my ticket to DF. Since I paid both of those with my own money, I’m living peso to peso for the next month. Don’t feel sorry for me. It’s easy to live peso to peso. Also, I have access to my savings if I want it. But Melanie knows; I’m not going to tap into that until absolutely necessary. I can’t imagine it’ll ever get higher than that, but I didn’t think it would get higher than 10.79!

No comments: