Monday, November 10, 2008

Superstition

I promised Mom and others I would not do internet things (or at least email things) since I had SO MUCH TO DO today.  I slacked big time this weekend and still have lesson plans to finish by Friday (but I'm leaving tomorrow), a presentation to finish by Thursday (but need to present it to my staff tomorrow), tests to grade and record, and packing to do!
So....
I am not superstitious.  I rarely even remember the things you're supposed to be superstitious about.  As I was walking from the Oxxo from my bus stop today, I was thinking about superstitions, and only then did it hit me that I should be in the midst of at least seven years of bad luck since my wall-covering mirror broke two years ago.  I suppose since I didn't break it, I'm relieved from that spell.  But truly, I'm not so knowledgeable on superstitions.
However, I typically notice a black cat.  I don't think bad things, but I notice them.  What about the one I saw today?  It didn't cross my path; I crossed its.  There it was, belly up (honestly) on the side of the street, swarming with flies, just waiting to be picked up by Jim Schreiner in days gone by.  It was solid.  It was dead.  And I had to walk past it.  What does that say about my luck in the near future?
Probably nothing, but just to be sure, I'm avoiding all mirrors and ladders for the next little bit!

2 comments:

WordGirl said...

Hola, Senorita Klapheke! Mrs. Hayes mentioned to me that you have a blog, so I googled you to find it. It's so cool to see what you're up to. When Bekah gets home from school, I'll let her look at the pictures and see what's going on as well. She is still enjoying Spanish and is doing great in 2nd grade.

I'm enjoying your writing and hearing about your life in Mexico and will check back often.

Shannon Truss

Whitney said...

We have a black cat that keeps coming to our back porch and one time he got inside. What does that mean??? Absolutely nothing! haha.