Sunday, November 23, 2008

Go Titans, Go Titans!

On Sunday (oddly enough, a week ago today as I sit in Tucson watching the Titans play the Jets), I was the first to rise, as usual.  I did, however, let myself sleep until 10ish.  When I got up, I showered and went downstairs to wait on anyone else that might wake up.  Chori got up shortly after and asked me if I were hungry.  Not wanting to be the high maintenance gringa that had to be waited on, I said no.  I wasn't starving, so no big deal.  I did, however, decide to fend off any chance of hunger by grabbing a Coca Light.  As we were on our way back from the market on Saturday (I did insist on buying the 70 peso kindling), Beto asked me if I wanted anything for the house for breakfast on Sunday or a coke or anything.  I said sure that I'd stop for a Coca Light.  When we stopped, I was left in the car and the boys went in.  Beto came back with three Coca Lights for me, just in case.  I drank one on Saturday night, but there were two left.  I decided to enjoy one of them pre-breakfast.  When I opened the fridge, they were not in there, so I asked Chori's mom if she knew where they were (the fridge was full, so odds were good they had been moved).  She quickly said she hadn't drunk them and had no idea.  I felt terrible since she thought I was accusing her!  Chori starts getting things our for our group brunch and his mom mentions the Coca Light.  I of course was willing to just ignore it.  He asks every person that comes down the steps.  One of the boyfriends told me Paloma was responsible.  Again, willing to let it go.
As breakfast/lunch came together, the guys went outside to set up some tables and chairs on the lawn.  Chori told me to make sure and get to the bottom of the mystery of the Coca Light.  At this point I'm ready to play ignorant.
We all sat down and enjoyed eggs (scrambled and over easy), machaca (an interesting meat that is delicious), tortillas, bacon, and maybe some other meat?
It was beautiful sitting out by the pool, feeling the breeze, enjoying everyone's company.  The truth finally came out about the Coca Light (luckily I took it all in stride because I truly did not want to be annoying.  Apparently around 6ish, the party group (who stayed up until NINE AM!) was out of coke.  PLenty of liquor left, but no coke.  Palome went to the fridge to fix a drink for Paulina (the reason I remember her name and not the other girl) and saw only Coca Light.  He poured it for her.  She drank it unknowingly.  About halfway through she realized it was different (her sense of taste might have been hindered by this hour) and Paloma told her what was up.
We all made jokes about it the rest of the time, so it was fine.  They promised to hook me up when they went to the store (for like the fifth time in 24 hours) to get more stuff for Sunday night.
After breakfast/lunch, some people swam.  It was a bit too chilly for me, so I sat out and searched for the Titans game.  It was nowhere, even though I had a beautiful, very large (no idea the size) flat screen tv to watch it on.  I settled for the Steelers/Thunder game (Maria, the youngest Schwartz one time said while watching the Chargers: "You thunder, my daddy's gonna beat you!" and that was when we were awful).  It was not my favorite thing to watch and they did not show sufficient updates for my taste.  Beto and Paloma watched with me and they gave me Spanish tests.  Paloma wanted the hardest English word and then for me to say the hardest Spanish word.  Beto told him not to play games with me because I'm smart and would win.  He learns fast, eh?  Paloma tried to give me a tongue twister, but I reminded him of the one word rule.  I couldn't come up with a word for him.  Beto commented that my Spanish had been better on Friday night and I explained how it was much easier one on one (not to mention I could take control of most of where the conversation was going) with more gestures and less to pay attention to!
So they trash talked the whole game about the Titans.  The only update we got was when we were down 14 to 3.  They were laughing at me.  I had been semi-asleep until the update, but that was enough to put me on edge!  I told them, though that we were really good at coming back in the fourth quarter.  There were NO MORE UPDATES!  So they kept saying that we had lost.  And I kept cheering sing-song-y, "Go Titans, Go Titans!"  It was kinda hilarious.
The game ended late since it was a late-starting game.
At that point, we all went outside to hang out while Juan, the chef, began to prepare for dinner.

No comments: