Friday, November 28, 2008

2nd grade mamas

As I said, when I got to school, there were kiddos all around.  The 2nd grade moms had a meeting with Rocio their teacher and the principal.
I was early, so I sat down to email and the principal came in and asked if I could join them.  I got all nervous, but of course obliged.  
He gave me a few minutes to explain what my English class was like and what I expected from the kids.  I explained how I was grading (since their tests grades are atrocious).  They had some suggestions that I was unaware were even possible (posting a class list with their grades outside- illegal in the US, but standard procedure to keep the parents in the loop here) and we ended on a very good note.  Rocio asked if I could bring my yearbook to show the parents the difference between Lockeland and Rafael Buelna.  The principal had some nice things to say about how lucky they were to have me and how he hoped the parents would help the kids take advantage of a year with a native speaker.
Then Rocio got up and complimented my teaching.  She ended up saying that she yells more than I do, and I disagree.  I feel like she walks in and the angels sing, but I took it as a compliment.  She's probably right because I try not to yell at all.  That's so not a good idea in the US (not to mention it's bad management), so I give them time to do what I've asked.  Then I repeat a mantra (I can't listen to you; you didn't raise your hand.  I can't listen to you; you didn't raise your hand.) until they get it.  In her mind, I probably do yell less.  In my mind, they don't listen until I raise my voice, and I do it way more often than I would ever even consider in Nashville.
But I'm getting there.

No comments: