Saturday, November 8, 2008

The Price of Tea in China

What does that have to do with anything?  Nothing.  But the price of a liter of refrigerated skim milk in a plastic container is 24 pesos, while a liter of boxed skim milk (all I've ever drunk in Spanish speaking countries) is 11.  Mind you, it's the same brand, just different packaging.
As we were getting our refrigerated items at the super this week, Mabel asked me if I needed milk.  In my mind, we're not going over to the boxed milk section, so get it now, or be milkless this week.  I grabbed a liter, noting the price and moved along.  Toward the end of our journey, we rounded the boxed milk section and Mabel picked up three boxes of whole milk for her and Cosette for the week.
It was then that I noticed the price.  I promptly, of course, changed my cold plastic for room temperature cardboard, explaining the difference in price to Mabel.  Again at the eggs, we had a similar issue.  There were no 12 count cartons in the brand we usually get.  So she moved over to another brand.  This brand sold 12 eggs for the same price as our typical brand's 18 package.  I explained this and that we should get the 18 count.
Every other week we buy a 4 pack of toilet paper.  Instead of buying bulk, we buy it regularly (no pun intended!) as we do with many other things.  I think part of that is Mabel.  Math is not her strength, which makes money a bit troublesome (thanks Kate for putting together those two ideas), but this is also a very Mexican thing.  For one, they don't plan beyond tomorrow.  Why would I have 18 rolls of toilet paper?  I may not need toilet paper after this week. (?)
Also, things in Mexico are not always cheaper by the quantity.  Often they are, but it is not guaranteed.
Finally, like Papá had mentioned when he denied that there was an economic crisis, Mexicans will always buy.  Until there are no dollars in their hands, they buy.  The price is not as important as the perceived need, no matter the item.
To me, it ends up being pennies.  But to someone whose money is getting less valuable by the day, and whose wallet will be more affected by an economic crisis, I want so desperately to help.  Last week with the egg and milk lesson, I think we made progress.  I'll have to keep trying to find teachable moments.  Maybe that is my purpose here.  Forget English lessons.  I'm teaching personal finance!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And there are few better to do it! MOM