Friday, November 28, 2008

Meet the Fam

Well, I've done plenty of talking about them, so you might as well see their faces while you read about them.  The big picture to the left is: (L-R) me, Mabel, Alma, Maricela, Papá Jaime.
This is taken in their "garage."  They have a gated driveway, which is not like it sounds.  I suppose it's more like a carport with a security gate.  It's still not like it sounds, but it's too hard for me to explain.  Maricela and Papá had painted some very large clay pots a few weeks ago.  I think Alma was a helper in making it into a garden so to speak.  So that's where we are.  This was taken before Juan Show.  Carlos (Mari's boyfriend) took the picture.  I'll give you a snippet about each, just to jog your memory.  
Mabel: 28; I live with her; Cosette is her only daughter; recently divorced; super early to bed; super early to rise; While she goes to bed long before 9:30 on weeknights, she saves up her energy and parties until late all weekend.  Even if it's not a "party," she likes to hang out, smoke a few cigarettes and drink a few beers after a long week of working.
Alma: 25; although this picture may not do her justice, she is striking; works as a dancer (All types from ballet to salsa to whatever is needed in the theater) but earns extra cash as a model; hilarious story-teller; was engaged until this summer when she called it off because she loved her work too much (her ex is form Culiacán and she would've had to have moved back), lives in Mexico City, is always willing to teach me something new; is so much fun!
Maricela: 22, "Mari"; has boyfriend, Carlos; is also striking, though I think that's obvious in the picture; takes care of her dad (cooks, cleans, pays the bills with his money even at restaurants), is a dental student who will graduate in January and wants to move to the border to set up a clinic.
Papá Jaime: 57 (58 on Sunday); anti-Obama; wants me to "know" Culiacán and makes sure I experience everything possible-mostly food; is a retired ob-gyn but still practices out of his house; is either a little crazy, a little older than his age, or is more affected by beer than he thinks.

So that's the fam.
When Mabel went inside to get something, Papá demanded that we keep taking pictures.  So here I am with the two other sisters, first Maricela and then Alma.
They all look so different to me, and none of them really like Papá Jaime or the picture I've seen of their Mom.  
Of course Cosette was at the neighbor's house when we went out, so she didn't make it into the family portrait.  But I have plenty of pictures of her and I'm guessing there will be many more to come!

No comments: