Friday, November 28, 2008

Hello Kitty, Goodbye Kitty.

Thursday is a day I'm supposed to have 5th and 6th grade.  Yesterday, however, I got caught up in 5th grade, we were doing a tricky activity, and time slipped away.  I only had about 7 minutes for 6th grade, so I just didn't go.  I asked the 5th grade teacher if I could go to 6th grade on Friday (a day I don't normally have them) instead of 5th since I'd missed them.  She said that was fine.
When in DF, Jen, a Fulbright teacher in Jilotepec (a very small town north of DF) shared a Thanksgiving book with us.  It's Hello Kitty Gives Thanks.  A few days later, she emailed us the whole book that she had scanned.  I had my doubts, since my kids don't do well with things they're not familiar with!  I'm excited to do a TPRS (teaching proficiency through reading and storytelling) lesson with this, which basically means you simplify the text and repeat key phrases that you want the students to learn (writing them on the board for further exposure).  Then, you have them help you re-tell the story using the notes you've taken on the board.  Finally, you let them make a story board with pictures and text.
It works really well, but it is a lot of work on the teacher.
I got to 6th grade today, knowing I would have less than 20 minutes with them due to the early dismissal plan.  I got the computer set up (they have a projector as does 5th grade) and pulled up the front cover.  "Hello Kitty!" they all shouted!
I was glad they recognized it.
We only had time for about 4 of the 18 pages, but they were more than attentive.  They loved reading the words, and I did my best to act out some of the pictures for them for clarification.  After those pages, I asked them how much they were understanding.  A little bit was the general response.  Given that I only read the book to them instead of presenting it in full TPRS form, I was proud.  I had been hesitant and really nervous to do this lesson.  Now I'm very excited to have the opportunity to continue it.
As I was getting into Mabel's car at the end of the day, I saw some 6th graders.  "Miss Laura, are we going to keep reading Hello Kitty on Monday?"  "Yes."  A huge smile followed.
What a successful day.

No comments: