Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Party all Night

During the day Saturday, I had gotten a text from Liliana saying there was a party at her house starting at 6 so we could all see each other and to let her know if we were coming.  I texted her back saying I was going to monster trucks, but that of course I wanted to come and would call after it was over, knowing that Alma wouldn't want to so much, especially if Lenin was going to be there (and why wouldn't he be there).  I figured she could drop me off or someone else could pick me up from somewhere or something.  I didn't worry about it.
Well, after the monster trucks, Shania and I were HUNGRY (neither of us having eaten lunch with Beatriz because we were both too full from breakfast to eat lunch), so we had planned on going to grab something.  I was craving tacos.  We got to the car and Alma drove us to Ocyé's house to pick her up, but her mom had changed her mind and decided she couldn't go out.  (This is why US "kids" don't live at home after 18.)
So we went back toward town.  Shania called one of her honeys who wanted to meet up.  She told him he could take all four of us out to eat if he wanted.  He agreed.  There's a place called La Cantina and Shania asked if I had been.  She loves it and my answer was no, so we told her fella to meet us there.  Then Alma asked me if I wanted to go to Liliana's.  I told her that yes I had wanted to (and Lili had called me toward the end of monster trucks asking where we were and I told her it was still going on), but that at this point I really wanted food.  She said, what if we stopped in for a minute and then used dinner with Shania's friend as the reason to leave.  She was like, "it's time for me to see all them.  Might as well do it now."  I was kind of proud of her.  So we popped in.  I did a little dance with a very drunk Renato.  I'm going to miss him and Lili so much.  Okay, fill in the name with any one of my friends.
After we had been there less than 30 minutes, we were on our way to dinner.  By this time it was midnight.  It was funny to me because the group at Lili's house were not Shania's circle.  They were more my friends than hers!  I have fully and completely arrived.  And cue the tears again.
We got to La Cantina and get seated.  The place was packed, and the waiters took their sweet time.  There was a mariachi band.  After we ordered our drinks (I was parched and it took forever to get my limonada), I heard Alma talking to the waiter behind her menu.  I assumed she was pulling the birthday card.  But then I heard the waiter say, "Laura y Tania?"  Alma shushed him and then correcting him on his Shania pronunciation.
About three minutes later, the band was calling us up to the stage to sing.  Not just calling us, dragging me by the arm.  I made sure Shania came too and then called Alma up there.  We sang a song I didn't know- shocker.
It was funny though.  My face hurt from laughing so much.
We got back to the table and Shania's man had ordered some tacos (at my request), guacamole and queso fundido.  It took longer than forever, but was delish.  He also ordered a bucket of beers and by the end of the night, they were closing at 1:30 and we had to get outta there, so he opened a bottle of Tecate for each of us.  Karina and Alma don't drink anything.  Ever.  I don't like beer.  But we each took our obligatory sips and I snapped a shot.  Shania has other pictures on her camera and when she gets them uploaded to facebook, I'll share them with you.
We left Shania's friend and considered going to Kuvva, the night club where another of her honeys works.  It seemed like a nightmare to me since we were still out close to two and I had to get up at 7 for my flight on Sunday.  Yuk!
We ended up stopping at Vicente's house (Shania's student with whom we had run around the night before with the band guy) for a second to say hello.
After that, we dropped Shania off, but got a call from Johana.  We were in her car because she had needed Alma's Tracker that day for work, so we went to Johana's party to pick her up and trade cars.  We got back to the house close to 3:30 and Alma still had to take Karina home.  I marched straight up to my room and was asleep before my head hit the pillow.  Alma, of course, had all day Sunday to sleep, but told me to wake her up to take me to the airport.  Will the hospitality never end?!

At one point, Karina and I started speaking Spanglish, and it turned so funny.  All four of us girls were talking like that at one point and we were cracking up.  My amigas.  Tan great.

No comments: