Monday, June 8, 2009

Sunday Lunch

I don't remember what time I woke up on Sunday, but I stayed in my room and got things done- cleaning up, organizing, etc.  I heard Alma go downstairs around 2 and stepped out, realizing Mamá was home making lunch.  Sundays are usually spent at church and then with her mom (Alma's grandmother) and then running around.  I was surprised that she was there.
Shortly after, Mamá Alma was calling me for lunch.  That's not super common.  Typically, if she's cooking when I get home from school, she'll ask me if I'm ready to eat and if yes then she'll serve me.  If not, she just leaves it on the stove for me for whenever I want it.  I yelled back down that I was on my way, and as I came down the steps, Alma was coming up to tell me lunch was ready.  
Alma's brother Chacho, his wife Judith, their two Dael (3/4) and Lia (2/3), and Mamá's sister Pati were all there.  We circled around the round table for four with the kids at their plastic table.  We started with spaghetti soup.  That's not what it's called, but it's spaghetti noodles and a tomato sauce soup.  Then we moved on to asada.  It was basically meat in juice with the typical toppings: lettuce, radishes, onions, avocado, a parmesan cheese and of course lime.  Paty couldn't understand how I was drinking just water and offered me lemonade about fifteen times.  There was also a pizza for the kids (and Alma, who eats like a kid).
It wasn't until later when I was chatting with Ashley that I thought about that as "Sunday lunch."  Sunday lunch in Nashville is almost a given within any family.  Not going to church here makes my Sundays seem a bit weird.  

No comments: