Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Sunday was travels

So I got up at the god-forsaken hour of 7 on Sunday after being out way too late the night before.  I got my last things packed (tamales for the fam, shower stuff, pillows-yes plural) and woke Alma up at 7:30 so we could be out the door at 7:30.  She dropped me off at the airport door and I got checked in, etc.  It was a busy morning at the airport!  There were no places to sit and they don't let you go to your gate until 30 minutes before boarding because there's less seating there (and Mexicans stay with the people they're seeing off until the last second).  I decided I needed a book for my flight and four hour bus ride to and from Guanajuato from Guadalajara, so I checked out the airport shop.  Bingo.  I got Twilight, which I hear is ridiculously addicting.  They had the other books in the airport, too, and they were each only about 15 bucks, so I figured I could buy the next one when I got back or on the way to Cozumel or whatever.
I got on my plane and was out before they showed me how to buckle my seatbelt.  Unfortunately, the flight is only about an hour and a half and I woke up as we were approaching final descent, aka 35 minutes until the gate.  That was okay though.  I landed, got my luggage, grabbed a taxi and headed to the bus station.  It was a 200 peso taxi, but I was prepared for it to be a lot.  It's not exactly close.  As I exited the airport, I saw a city bus, but I was in no mood to deal with that!
My ticket was bought 15 minutes before my bus was to leave.  Perfect!  I got on the bus, fell asleep and texted Donna.  I told her when I thought I would arrive.  I was way off.  They played three movies on the bus (very loudly), but I just popped in my iPod and slept through it all.  I got to Guanajuato about an hour and a half earlier than I had originally estimated, so I sat in the fly-infested waiting room and caught up as much on my blog as I could, knowing how far behind I was.  After I felt accomplished enough (I knew I wouldn't get any done while in Guanajuato), I texted Donna and told her I was on my way to the park near their apartment.  She and Alina were going to meet me at the taxi there and show me how to get to their place.  
As I pulled up, I saw them waiting on a bench, so I waved from the back of the taxi and they both returned the enthusiastic wave.  
Thankfully they had told me to meet them there and not at their apartment because there's no way I would've found it!  It was back a few alleys and up lots of hills (I couldn't have climbed the hills without their assistance carrying some of my stuff!).  I was instantly enamored with Guanajuato.

No comments: