Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Feliz Cumpleaños, Iván!

At 8:00, I started getting ready.  I knew it would take me less than an hour to get ready, but sometimes it's so hot, if I get ready and rush out the door, I'm sweaty before I get downstairs.  So I allotted myself some cool down minutes.
I was waiting downstairs watching tv, waiting to hear them pull up.  At 9:20, I hear Liliana yell, "Low-RAH!"  Off I went.  I had my bottle of pinot grigio to fight off the heat, and my wine glass.  Wine from a plastic cup just doesn't do it for me.  "¡Qué fresona!  Con tu botella y vaso!" was Renato's welcoming phrase...  Fresa is the word for strawberry, but in slang it's along the lines of valley girl/snob.  I think in this instance, high maintenance would work.  "How high maintenance!  With your bottle and glass!"  It was hilarious.  They were just excited I would be drinking since it's a rare sight.
We drove and stopped at the Tacate stand to pick up beer for them.  The conversation was mostly about the weather.  It has just been an insufferable week or two here in Culiacán.  Liliana said that it had been 109 that day and that on their way to pick me up, they had seen that it was 96.  It was 9 pm!  I'm literally living in hell!  The good news is, everything else is wonderful.  It hasn't even been two weeks since I told Mom I thought I could survive in a tropical climate.  As long as it was cold when I came home for Christmas, I could get used to this- the predictability of it all.  Nope.  I stand corrected.  Misery.  
We got to Iván's and it was just family (cousins, nephews, siblings, parents) and La Foca.  That means seal.  His real name is Rene, but because of the way he dances, everyone calls him La Foca.  We chatted and waited for others to get there.  Diana and her boyfriend Manuel were there next.  Diana is Roicío's sister, both Ana Luisa's daughters.  The girls that were there at the time got a picture with the birthday boy.  Those who are not my friends are girlfriends of Iván's family.

Iván is obviously the male.  To the left is Liliana and Diana.  To the right is Rocío and then me.  


Rocío, Laura, Diana.  Mom Ana Luisa came running for the picture.  The one with the four of us was blurry, so we'll have to get together again!

My ride for the evening, and couple #1.  Liliana and Renato.  Things I'll miss about them- 
Lili: her voice (she's the one I impersonate pretty well), her insistence on chit-chatting and invading your space (a sure sign that I've arrived since it doesn't bother me), the fact that she can drink more Tecate Light than any of our guy friends, the way she's always sooo excited to see me.  Renato: his jokes, his dancing, the look he gives (it's kinda like, "Come on!"), his insistence on making me participate in whatever conversation.

Couple #2. Rocío and Iván.  Things I'll miss-
Rocío: the way she dances (it's hilarious and she always has to be moving if she hears music), her sincerity and innocence, her boycraziness over Iván still (they've been together 6 years).  Iván: his seriousness, the occasional break into dance, his wit.

Couple #3.  Diana and Manuel.  Things I'll miss- Diana: her laugh, her singing voice, her entertainment (she sings at various different places each weeks), her no nonsense, singing karaoke with her.  Manuel: I don't really know him that well, but he paid me a HUGE compliment on my Spanish at my birthday party.

Couple #4. Karla and Chapo.  Things I'll miss- Karla: her laugh, her willingness to share her honest opinion even if it may not be what you want to hear at the time.  Chapo: "Papá!" something he says all the time that makes me laugh, the way he talks (it took a LONG time for me to understand him- and he always throws in a bunch of English making it that much harder!), his ADD-style twitch.

Not a couple, but the only ones left with no picture!  Topete.  Things I'll miss: "Mujer," the way he awkwardly walks away mumbling to himself, his music taste, his dancing, his look (more like "you're an idiot"), his humor.

Renato, Liliana, Topete and me.

Right before this picture, Topete had said, "Woman, this is a picture of all couples.  Get back here."  You can see the remains of laughter on our faces.  You'll also notice I did not do what was demanded of me.  (He didn't say please.)

Around 1, Liliana told me we would be leaving soon.  Renato had a baseball game (to play in) on Sunday morning at 9.  I wasn't ready to go just yet, but I figured someone else would take me.  About that time, Marisol and Pirru showed up, so we stuck around to talk to them a bit.  Then Renato got a call from Lenin saying he was on his way.  Since Lenin owed Renato money, we decided to stay until he got there.  Being the Tecate representative, he brought a fresh stash of beer with him.
We stayed until 3.  It was fun.  We danced, sang, and had a good time.  I felt guilty for having fun with Alma's friends without her there.  However, she's at a place right now where she doesn't want to spend time with them.  She had basically dumped Johana, Ocyé, and Karina because Lenin didn't like them, so she's making up for lost time.  In her defense, they seem to be the ones who most openly care about her.  They're the ones who call, check in, come over, and invite.  I enjoy hanging out with them.  But I also want to spend time with the other friends I've made while here before it's time to go!

This is the group shot right before we left.  The only one missing is Foca.  Back row: Topete, Cristian (Lenin's cousin- he taught me to dance banda at a wedding), Renato, Pirru, Iván, Manuel.  2nd row: Karla, Chapo, Liliana, Marisol, Rocío.  Front: Lenin, me, Diana.

Around 3, we left and they dropped me off.  We talked about how sad we would all be when I left.  I told Renato that I wanted to see him play sometime before I left.  He plays every Sunday.  Surely I can make it to a game.

No comments: