Sunday, June 14, 2009

Shoplifting

When I went to the mall on Tuesday, I had shoes on the mind.  I have wanted some wedges from here and since Dad will be here next week, I can buy some things without consequence in my luggage because he can take them back.  However, as usual, I had to stop in Zara.  Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), there was nothing I liked!  I went on to shoe shopping and had success with two pairs.  But then I felt empty-handed in the clothes department.  I tried out a couple of other stores.  Mistake.  I found dresses, headbands and shirts.  Most made in the US.  My theory is this: if this is the year I have money, this is the year I should spend money.  Easy enough, right?
Well, the last store I went into drove me crazy.  Of course it's where I ended up finding the most stuff that I wanted.  I walked in and the girls wouldn't leave me alone.  I had my bag of shoe boxes and another bag with a few things in it.  I clearly had bought things.  But these girls would not leave me alone.  They weren't pushy with their words, or even helpful; they just followed me.  It was almost creepy.  I would walk just out of their sight (which was hard because they were both within four feet of me), and they would round the corner.  It got to be a game for awhile; I would suddenly walk quickly to a new place.  
I was this close to asking them if they had a lot of items stolen, but I didn't.  Instead, I picked up a few things to try on.  One of the girls helped me into a changing room.  She came back in a few minutes and gave me a card with her name on it.  Excellent.  I emerged from the changing room with several items I wanted and continued browsing.  
There was no one in sight.  
No.  One.
No one to help me.  
No one to follow me.
No one to make sure I didn't steal anything.
Hmmmm.
I make it up to the counter with my load and the girl asks for the card.  
Aha.
They stalk you until you try things on or check out and then they get your sale.  Don't be fooled into thinking they helped me.  I practically opened the changing room door myself.  I guess that's why they do the card system.  If I had checked out and she'd had to say, "Was anyone helping you today?" I'd have to say no.

No comments: