Sunday, June 28, 2009

Another Friday

I could really get used to this whole living-in-Mexico-but-not-working-but-making-money thing!  I slept in on Friday and then did laundry and such to get ready for my upcoming trip to Guanajuato.  A family from Lockeland has been there since June 6 attending language school.  Since we were in the same country, they invited me to come visit and stay with them (for free!).  I have wanted to see Guanajuato, so it was perfect!  I had bought my ticket after arriving back from Mazatlán for Sunday morning June 28 through Saturday morning, July 4.  I would fly cheaply from Culiacán to Guadalajara on Sunday and then take a bus to Guanajuato.  Originally I had hoped to tie in a visit to San Miguel Allende to see Lee Gentry, but she ended up having to leave last week before I could get there.  On my way back to Culiacán, I would stay two nights in Guadalajara to see the town while I was there.
Anyway, that was the reason for the packing.
That afternoon, I worked out and waited to hear what the plans were.  At the pool party on Wednesday, Shania had suggested we go to The Proposal.  I was pumped about it.  I got a text from Shania on Friday afternoon asking if we were going still.  I told her I wanted to go but we'd have to wait and hear from Alma since neither of us had a car. 
I heard from Alma later in the evening saying she couldn't go out because she had a baby shower with her mom and then was going to do some work for PISI (the Saturday English classes for kids) before getting into bed early.  I was bummed, but put on some comfy clothes and popped in Bride Wars.  It made me laugh.  In the middle of it, I got another text from Shania saying she was going to a party at 11, did I want to go (it was ten)?  I said sure.  I didn't know with whom, where or for how long, but this year has been the year of yeses in a very different way from being a "yes-person" in the US.
I got dressed and went downstairs, where Alma was working.  She shortly went to bed and off I went with Shania, who had borrowed her brother's car.  We were on our way to a bar when we got a call from Shania's friend Vicente, the one we were meeting.  He said they had to leave the bar.  We got all confused and met them at the Burger King parking lot.  Vicente was Shania's English student in high school several years back.  A friend of his was in town to play in the banda (that music that I don't love) at Salón 53.  They had to leave because it was time to go to the party.  We rode with them to the party and the four of us basically sat in the car for two hours until 1am when the band went on.  In hindsight, we should've gone in to hear them.  Apparently they're pretty famous.  Shania says internationally, though I don't buy that.  But we didn't want to crash a private party in Culiacán that could afford to bus this internationally famous band in.  It was probably a narco party.
I got home around 1:30 and was not excited about getting up early on Saturday.  I was excited, however, about breakfast with Sandra and her family, my reason for getting up early.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Laura, great blog. I am moving to Culiacan in two weeks. I am living in Guadalajara now, obtaining my Masters in International Administration. Are there many job opportunities for gringos to teach english in Culiacan? I have about 5 months of experience here in gdl with teaching. my email is jeffsigler@gmail.com thanks laura!