Sunday, June 7, 2009

El Día de los Maestros

Okay.  Enough excuses.  I got caught up on my blog and then on Saturday, I let Alma take my card and card reader to Centro de Idiomas so they could upload some pictures I had to facebook.  I have yet to get the card and reader back, so I don't have pictures for the entires I'm about to write.  But I'll make some "just pictures" entries once I get them back!
Friday was the party for Centro de Idiomas for Teachers' Day, which was May 15.  I was in DF, but it wasn't celebrated for Inglés en Primaria or for Centro de Idiomas due to the the continued flu precautions.  Lucky for me!  
It was to be at a new Salón (party room) over near Mabel's house.  Alma told me we would be leaving around 10:30.  At 10 I was ready and tired, so I lay down for a bit.  At 10:40, Alma came knocking on my door and off we went.
We went to pick up Karina.  When we got to "mujic," we said hello to several people and then joined Johana at her table.  The waiter was clearing plates.  I had eaten something around 5, so I shouldn't have needed dinner, but I was hungry!  The waiter came back and asked what we wanted to drink.  I think events like this are almost all open bar (unless you bring your own).  I got my typical coca light.  
Shortly after, he brought us our food!  It was a yummy chicken with a cream of mushroom sauce and maybe some rice (I took a picture this time) and a really sweet croissant.  I, of course, got my money's worth of refills on my coca light.  They did a raffle and Alma won a tv!  Karina got a blender.  I wasn't allowed to enter since I'm not a teacher there.  Johana didn't win either.  However, when the woman came around passing out the party favors (silver charms with the name of the public school sector on them), she asked Alma if I were a teacher, and Alma answered yes.  So she gave me one!  In Alma's defense, she didn't know why she was asking, and she told the truth.
After we had eaten and been served dessert, and after the raffle, we went outside for a bit and chatted with Paul (a younger teacher at Centro de Idiomas that apparently all the girls have had crushes on) and two important men whose names I never caught.
After a short bit outside, we headed back in to spice up the dance floor.  I can say many things about Mexicans, but a certain addition to that list is they love to dance and can go all night.
We danced and danced and danced.  It was SO FUN.  Retired teachers, young things.  You name it, we were all out there.  Of course I wasn't a fan of the cheesy Mexican music, but it was mixed in well with Mexican pop.  I can sing most of the choruses now!
At one, they flicked the lights on cueing us to get off the dance floor.  We moved the party outside and chatted with the mostly PISI (Saturday kids' English program) crowd.
After loading Alma's tv in the trunk, we followed Johana and Karina to Jo's house to get her pjs.  They spent the night with us, since all three of them would be going to PISI in the morning.
I had no problem falling asleep and staying asleep, but based on the giggling I heard while brushing my teeth, I'm guessing it took them a while to fall asleep!

No comments: