Sunday, January 25, 2009

Birthday Parties

The girls of the party

Fast friends, Alma and me

Liliana, Alma, Laura, Not Sure (don't think I even officially met her)

Alma, Lenin, Laura, Tekate (Mexico's preferred beer.  Lenin is a distributor)

Singing Sisters: Diana (in the band), Jimena (little sister), Rocio (birthday girl)

The girls: (forgot her name, Johana, Alma, me, Karina, and Ocyé)

My girl Alma and her new boyfriend, Lenin.

I think I've mentioned before on here (or at least multiple times to those of you with whom I chat) that they must celebrate their birthdays every month.  Every single weekend there is a birthday party going on somewhere.  This week it was for Rocio, Ana Luisa's daughter and Alma's friend.
Earlier this week, there was a birthday dinner at Wings, but when I texted Alma about it, she was sick and had to stay home until the weekend.  She mentioned this party on Saturday.  On Friday, I had one of those dumb moments where I felt like I was getting in her way, that she was worn out with entertaining me.  I was super ecstatic (and reaffirmed) to hear from her on Saturday saying, "Get ready for the party tonight!  Mabel has the directions."  Her message was one part English, one part French, two parts Spanish.  I was cracking up.
After the soccer game, Mabel and I headed home for me to change and put make-up on (yeah right I'm going to get dressed up for a sporting event!).  We had planned to leave around 10 or 10:30 with Mabel's warning to not fall asleep.  The game ended and we were home around 9:20, so that was perfect.  Only, when we walked in the house, Mabel said, "We should go as soon as possible."  I asked her why and she had no reason.
Let me reiterate that I despise getting to parties early.  At home, I love to be the first to arrive because I'm usually really good friends with the host.  Here, I'm invited to parties of people I've met, but don't know well.  So I have to enter a place where I don't feel truly invited (even though I am) and then start up chit chat small talk in a second language with people I don't really know.  I don't love pointless chatter in English with people I do know.  On top of those reasons, Mabel seems to get bored or annoyed or I'm not sure what at these parties right about the time (or before) my crowd gets there.
I got ready quickly, but Mabel got sidetracked facebooking someone.  Around 10, we left the house.  I texted Alma to let her know we were leaving and asking her how many parties she had before I would see her.  She said tonight would just be the one and that she was actually ready and waiting on her ride.
Mabel and I stopped to get me a Coca Light and then found the place.  It was actually probably walking (though not in heels and party clothes) from our house.  The location was not a party room or anyone's house like these parties usually are.  This was the patio area of an apartment complex owned by Rocio's family friend.  There was a karaoke machine (a necessity) and a pool room.  It was on a hidden street, so it was great!  I loved walking in because of the ten people there, I felt like I knew at least five of them really well!  Ana Luisa was there.  She is the one who picked me up at the airport when I first arrived and took Mabel and me out to eat.  She lived in Chicago for 5 years teaching Spanish.  Her daughter Diana is the one who sings in a band.  I met her at one of the first enlace meetings.  Mabel, Marisela and I went to hear her sing at a restaurant in Altata one weekend.  Rocio I've seen at other parties, but I don't know that we'd ever spoken.  I met their little sister Jimena (or Ximena, not sure which) at the party.  Their cousin (Iván?) who is also an English teacher (and lived with them while in Chicago those years) was also there.  We all chatted and I enjoyed being there early.
Around 11, Alma showed up.  I knew she would be with Lenin, her boyfriend as of December, but he was nowhere to be found.  I was SO excited to see her!  She said her hellos to everyone who had gathered at that point, then she sat down beside me and we caught up.  I had yet to see her since before Christmas.  We talked and talked and talked.  Soon after, Lenin came in and she introduced him to me (even though we'd already met three times before).  He's so cute.  And really nice and fun.  About that time, the food was ready.  There was a mass exodus, so Alma and I just kept our seats and waited for the line to die down.  When we thought we'd left enough time, we went out to where the food was being served.  It was funny because the woman serving apparently reminded Diana (and all the English teachers) of someone who had presented at some professional development or some such.  They were making jokes and I was cracking up.  They also were joking about the long line that had formed.  Lenin and some of his buddies were sitting on a ledge at the back of the line, and Alma and I just jumped in front of them (since they weren't technically standing in line).  They started placing their orders with people in line.  Others who would come would hear, "¡Ey, la cola, la cola!" which was Diana saying, "Hey, no skipping."  Then she went into a story about being at Xplosion (which happens to be the carnival that Kate and Scott's friend runs- we were supposed to meet up, but they left town the following day) and how they were surrounded by little kids.  As a kid would try to push up to the front (as is typical here or all ages), Diana and her group of upper 20s friends would say, "La cola, la cola."  She said it while covering her mouth, like you do to say something yet not let it be known that it was you doing the talking.  I was laughing.  And Diana is a super-speedy talker.  I love to listen to her, but don't always get all that she says (it's that whole delayed hearing I talked about before).  I was glad to have heard everything (and seemingly "on time").
We enjoyed our food- tacos al pastor- and enjoyed more conversation.  Alma's Saturday job is in the office of Centro de Idiomas (the language school of the local university).  I asked her about taking Spanish classes and she said they would start the new trimester in early February.  I'm very excited.  It's about 500 pesos for three months or daily class.  I am considering taking another language, too.  What else have I got to do?
After the majority had finished eating, the karaoke got kickin'!  Diana sings with a group, so she pretty much owned the thing.  I avoided it at all costs.  There is no concern here for tone deafness nor hogging the mic.  It was hilarious to watch.
After awhile, Alma and I went into the pool room to watch the guys play.  I had met all of this crowd once or twice before, but it had been back in September or October.  It was good to see them all again, re-match faces with names, and add a few more facebook friends to my list.  We watched pool for an hour or two and then Mabel came in, purse on shoulder to say it was time for her to go.  I could go or stay.  I looked at Alma who said they would take me home if need be.  I stayed.  Three hours later(!), we were leaving.  We watched more pool, did the electric slide (they were as surprised as the teachers at the Posada that I knew how to do it), and sang more songs.  We took lots of pictures, which is always fun with a group of Mexicans.  It's a whole ordeal.  Getting home at 4am will wear on you (especially when you wake up at 9), but it's so much fun.  
As we were riding home, I had flashbacks of Andy's driving days.  I'm thinking these days are in the past (mostly because I can't picture the Saturn like this), but who knows.  Lenin drove like a fanatic.  He was all about some acceleration and passing people.  I felt like I was in Grease or some 80s movie about high school kids.  So many things here, with people my age, remind me of high school situations.

***I sent out pictures of this night on my Kodak account, so I only am adding a few to this entry.  If you're interested in seeing more pictures, shoot me an email (senoritaklapheke@gmail.com) and I'll send them to you.  For more birthday party stories, tune in to the next entry!

1 comment:

Jenna said...

Definitely looks like a high school party - hahaha!! Glad you had fun!