Sunday, January 18, 2009

A Tale of Two Masses (or, if you like, The Country Mass and the City Mass)

This weekend was full of masses, whether I wanted it to be or not.
Friday night, Marisela (so sorry for spelling it wrong all along!) had her graduation mass at 6:00 at La Lomita, the huge Catholic church on top of a hill that overlooks the whole city.
We got there early, of course, and Marisela and Papá were late...
Friday was an unfortunate day for me for mass.  I had been to yoga the night before and it was demanding.  It was just what I needed, to be certain, but I was sore on Friday.  Add to that the fact that I ran on Friday.  I was probably too sore to run, so it was terrible form (read:I banged my body into the pavement).  I got to mass, and the church was a concrete floor.  That already made my bones hurt more.  Then, I was wearing flats with no support.  My back and legs and feet were aching the whole time we were standing, sitting and standing again (but mostly standing).
The service was about an hour long.  In the middle, Mabel got up and went to confess.  The whole thing was pretty interesting to me.  So different.  I went to mass in Spain, and I would say they're very similar.  Minus the singing.  I don't remember the first song in Spain.  Here there was a very loud organ and mic'd singer.  Also, the father (what's the other word I use here....drawing a blank except all but Pope) blessed the graduates with holy water.
I found the whole thing funny since the school is a public dental school.  Yet they had this service.
Interesting.
Today's mass was for a First Communion.  It was what I would call the country church.  It wasn't out in the country by any means, but it had a country church feel.  Smaller and more intimate.  
This service was about an hour and a half, and I looked like I had been swimming after the father blessed us all by throwing (I kid you not.  Even Maribel and her husband were surprised at how rough he was.) the holy water on us!
So there's the comparison of the two masses.  I'll get back to both of them in future entries.
I'd like to send a quick shout out to Mrs. Wallace.  I just talked to Mer and she said you read my blog.  So: THANKS!

No comments: