Thursday, January 8, 2009

It's so cold!

That's what the Culichis would have you believe.  Yuri's mom came to pick me up in a sweater.  When we got to the house, Mabel was wearing her coat.  I had on a short sleeved t-shirt and a corduroy jacket and was not hot, so it was cool to be certain.  Cold, though, I'm not so sure.
After unpacking and getting in bed, though, I realized how "cold" it was.  The air conditioning was completely unnecessary.  That's a perk in my book.  However, after having been home (in Glasgow where the house is old, the circulation not so great, and the thermostat not so high; and in Nashville where we keep it COOL) and sleeping in flannel long sleeves and long pants and socks (!), sleeping in a tank top and capris with just a comforter and sheet was just insufficient.  I shivered all night long!  Wednesday night I added long sleeves and socks and it helped, but I think I still need more covers.
Leaving in the mornings both days, I have worn 3/4 sleeves or long sleeves and still been cold (walking in the shade) until I got on the bus.  By the bus ride home, if I'm sitting in the sun, it's hot enough to sweat again, but not miserable.  Mabel says that January is the coldest month.  I love how it feels around 10.  I wish it could be that way year round.  I'm thinking I'm going to be a bit whiny about the heat this go round.  I'm giving you about two to three months to prepare yourselves for that!

No comments: