Saturday, January 17, 2009

¿Me explico?

That's right.  Language lesson time.
"¿Me explico?" means "Do I explain myself?" or "Am I explaining myself?"
When Alma (the sister) was in town visiting (both times) I noticed things about her speaking patterns.  We all have our sayings or favorite words.  Hers at the time was "me explico."  
I just finished lunch downstairs (yes, it's 4:15 here) with Mabel and Cosette's godmother.  Cosette is with her dad for the night.  Mabel went to pick up her friend, they went to get lunch, and when they came back, I ate with them.  I don't remember her name, but the friend said over and over again, "¿Me explico?"  It reminded me of Alma.  
At any rate, it just made me think.  I often notice people's speech patterns and which words they love to use.  The better, non literal, yet more applicable translation would be, "Do you know what I'm saying?" or "Do you know what I mean?"  I know plenty of people (self included) that use that phrase a bit more often than is necessary.

No comments: