Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Reading over your shoulder...

So this entry piggybacks on the personal space issue.  I'm just too much of  bubble girl (I have a pretty large invisible bubble around me that should not be invaded unless you are family, close friend, or invited) for this country.  I say that in jest.  I am getting used to it, like I got used to driving to a place that is closed only to circle around for awhile longer...
However, the space invasion was coupled with terrible parenting meets non-listening (and annoying) children.  
I got to the food court and pulled up the internet.  Since it was not yet 1:00, the place was almost vacant.  Lunch is most busy around 2pm.  It's now 2:20, and the sushi line is crazy, so it'll likely be three before I'm placing my order (not from the line, but because I don't want to stand until I would get a chance to order)...
There is a man next to me eating something and reading a book.  Other than that, we pretty much have the place to ourselves.  After he leaves, it starts getting busier.  A precious little girl and her cute older brother come sit on the bench beside me and the mom figure sits across from them in the chairs.  The girl cozies up next to me, leg to leg, shoulder to arm.  She's reading my screen.  Well, given the reading level I've seen of the first graders here, I'm doubting she was reading.  Add to that, the blog is in English and I'm almost certain she was just checking it out.
Anyway, mom noticed and didn't say anything.  
I gave an uncomfortable smile.
Then mom tells her to scoot over.  
Daughter gives look of death.
Mom gazes off into oblivion.
Later, mom tries again.
Daughter seems to get closer.
Brother hits sister.
Mom hits brother.
Mom tells both kids to shut up.
Whew.  I was happy when the food came and she had to get closer to the table and they all had something occupying their mouths besides ugly words.

No comments: