Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Teaching, er, um, yelling....

I have lost all teaching credibility.  This week I have not been myself (maybe it's from not catching up on missed sleep this weekend; poor kids).  In reflection, I'm blaming it on not being well-rested.  I have had a really achy throat this week, and it's because I'm yelling.  With 40 kids not listening, it's what I resort to.  In my defense, it is what works for them.  However, it's not me, and it's not a good strategy.  Not to mention, Bridget would be disgusted at what I'm likely doing to my vocal chords.  Now that would've been a neat experiment: before and after.
I have resorted to making the kids copy things as a punishment.  Who AM I?!  The problem, of course, is that this is not punishment for them.  But it does give me a minute's reprieve.  My goodness they get wearing on a tired teacher!
On a positive note, I am making fast progress in my game of catch up.  First grade is on the right schedule.  They just took yesterday the test that Maribel gave me on Friday.  The other classes are at least one unit behind, but are rapidly catching up.  It's amazing what one can accomplish when there are 5 days of school in a row.  Oddly enough, tomorrow I will not be teaching due to an English meeting (I will also say that most other English teachers were out last Friday and the one before that due to a test prep course.  How do they ever expect these teachers to accomplish anything if they're never at school?!), and Friday we're dismissing early for a faculty meeting.  It's too bad I don't have anywhere to go because Monday is a holiday.  On top of all that, one of the first grade classes (the one that annoys me- finally something just!) was out today and will be until Tuesday due to Anabel's operation (some cyst had to be removed from her leg I think).  It was nice only having one class before recess today.
Which brings me to my next point.  Recess.  And internet.  I've gotten in the habit of getting on the computer during recess.  It passes the time quickly (as if a three hour work day didn't pass quickly as it is) and I get to catch up on news and check in with my friends who gchat at work!
On Monday (my very tired day), I walk into the computer lab and see a familiar screen; it's the one I saw when our neighbors hadn't paid their bill.  I asked Sandra what was up and she said we must've not paid the internet bill, so she called the principal who was out running errands (remember that in Mexico, to pay bills they actually go to the office since mail isn't guaranteed to make it).  He said he had paid it, so she called the internet company.  They informed her that the bill he had paid was for December.  Unfortunately, we're out of money!  So, we'll be internet-less until the students pay their fees for February.  I guess we ate too much at that last birthday lunch!  Only in Mexico does a school lose internet for not having paid it!  And only in Mexico does the school money go to teacher celebrations instead of school necessities!


No comments: