Monday, January 19, 2009

Sleepy Saturday

Saturday was luckily such a lazy day.  I got up when Mabel and Cosette got home and prepared myself for the cleaning/laundry day ahead.  When by 1:30, we still hadn't left for Papá's, I realized my laundry would have to wait another week!
Later, Cosette left with her dad and Mabel went to pick up lunch with her godmother (see ¿Me explico? entry).  That night, we had been invited by several people to Marco's house for Iván's birthday party.  Alma told me it would start around 9 or 10.  I told Mabel 10 or 10:30 in hopes of arriving late enough.  But I also knew that if I told her 11 or after, she would say that was too late (I fall asleep once waiting for a party and that rules out the rest of them!).
I started the getting ready process early so I could stay awake (okay, so she has a point).  Around 8:30 she asks me if I still want to go.  I can't tell if I'm misinterpreting or what.  But she was all about going out and doing things in our email exchanges before I got here.  Now that I'm here, she's still all about it.  But it seems she's hesitant when it comes to my plans.  Like if she's the one who has the information or the friends (and she's often saying "I don't have any friends"), she's all for it.  But then if I'm the one receiving the invitation, she always confirms later, like I might have changed my mind.
I don't know.  Maybe it's nothing and I'm misreading the way they communicate.  Who knows.
So I say yes.  I still want to go.  I'm dying to see Alma since I haven't yet since returning from Christmas.  Alma is such a great girl and I couldn't be more thankful that I met her.  Well, that Shania put her in charge of me.  She's is lots of fun, very thoughtful, and always up for something!
Anyway, we're set to leave at 10.  Around 9:30, in comes Mabel to get the directions to Marco's house.  Then she hits me with it.  "I think Demien is going to come with us."
Let me explain for a minute.  Demien is Cosette's dad.  Over the course of my four months here, I have gotten bits and pieces of the story.  I feel like I have most of it now.  The gist of their divorce is that he is an umpire.  He gets hired to travel for three months or more at a time and was never home.  Mabel was taking classes to finish her degree, teaching two jobs, and taking care of Cosette basically by herself.  She gave him an ultimatum more or less a year and a half ago since she was basically a single mom as it was.  In a discussion we had at another point about second chances, she said in her book you only get one second chance.  I said that I agreed.  In thought.  But in reality I give all kinds of chances.  I've been burned many a time for that.  Oddly enough, while we were talking about second chances, I said to her, "If Demien wanted you back, you would give him another chance, even though you already gave him his second chance."  She said absolutely not unless he had changed jobs because in the end it would be the same: he would be gone all the time.
I'm slightly annoyed that she's telling me he's coming.  But I'm not mad about it.  It's hard to explain the dynamics of things, so just suffice it to say, I'd have preferred to go just the two of us, or by myself.  On the other hand, I was excited to get to meet him and see what he was like.  Up to this point, we had only passed each other in the house.
This entry is reaching its length limit.  I'll get to the nighttime events in the next.  To be continued...

No comments: