Thursday, January 8, 2009

Rosca de Reyes


I entered the computer room to a table full of teachers.  They had almost all given their students assignments and had come to enjoy the cake.  January 6th is a holiday in Mexico (and I think many non-US countries) often translated as Three Kings Day.  The tradition here in Mexico is to cut the cake (in the shape of a ring) to see who receives the mono(s) which literally means monkeys.  I remember being in Honduras and hearing it used like we would use "cute."  Apparently, it is also used for baby.  There are little plastic babies (I searched last year for some to share with my second graders but came up empty handed) baked into the cake and whoever cuts the piece (or pieces) with the babies has good luck for the next year.  They also have the responsibility of providing the tamales for the February 2 holiday.  I didn't want to be in charge of that, so I was glad I didn't get the doll.  I wasn't aware of the good luck part until afterward or I would've wished for it.
The cake, as I've mentioned before about other foods in Mexico, was a little more moist than I typically enjoy, but I had no trouble eating it all.  What does that tell you?!  I would love to have a picture of the cake, but I came in after everyone had already cut the cake.  There were only three pieces left when I got there!

No comments: