Monday, January 12, 2009

Lunch

Cosette was so worried we would end up back at the house, but we banked by the river (ha!).  You'd have to be here to understand, but we were kind of a stone's throw from our house.  And to get to the picnic area, we had to drive toward the mall.  Well, obviously we hadn't planned it well (and these streets will drive anyone loco!), and we ended up in the paying area of the parking lot.  I saw that it was 10 pesos for the whole day, so I wasn't bothered.
We gathered all our gear: purses, meat, salad, paper products we had "borrowed" from Papá, and the cooler.  As we opened the trunk to get the cooler out, we realize what the sound had been when Mabel had had to slam on her brakes outside los cascabeles... Ice and drinks everywhere!
We put them all back in and started walking.  The cooler is(was) styrofoam, so the handle broke off!  Drinks and ice all over the parking lot!  Some kind strangers helped up collect everything, and while the cooler has seen its last day (it also was "ripped" all the way down one side), we made it to the picnic tables on the other side of the river.  We had to cross a "pedestrian bridge" that was under the car bridge above us.  That was interesting.
Lunch was fun.  It was a beautiful day, there were families playing and people exercising.  There were people in pedal-boats on the river.  And of course, there were couples making out everywhere!
I had several tacos and then some cookies.  I thoroughly enjoyed my coca light (I'm trying to cut back.  They come in 600mL bottles here - that's OVER HALF A LITER!- and I need to try to ease up.  I cut back while in the States, so I'm going to limit myself to when I'm out or when I have a headache instead of just when I get home from school.) and just being there.  We all seemed to enjoy it despite being about an hour later than we'd intended on eating.  Mabel and I commented that we might have to do that again next Sunday (with different food of course).

No comments: