Thursday, January 8, 2009

Directions

Before Christmas, the Thursday that I attempted to go to yoga, yet Cristina had already started "vacation," I got asked twice for directions.  I'm tellin' ya, I look like a local until I open my mouth.  The first time, I was proud of myself.  I was on the bus, minding my business with my yoga clothes and towel and I heard, "Muchacha," which means girl.  I've said before that titles are important here.  Well, I was proud of myself for turning around!  Then these teenage girls asked me if the bus passed by a certain place downtown and I was able to give a simple one word answer ("") without giving away my citizenship!
Once I got off the bus and was waiting for my transfer, a woman older than I (but not old, mind you!) asked me if a certain bus passed by that stop.  I wasn't sure, so I told her the truth.  Minutes later, I saw said bus and let her know that it was coming.
How bout that?!

Even better...
Yesterday, I was making my laps around our neighborhood and a car slowed down.  The woman in the passenger seat asked me if I knew where the restaurant California Buffet was.  It just so happened I did, and that I could give directions.  My Spanish was rusty enough from my US visit that I sounded like I didn't know what I was talking about, but I gave correct directions.  I'm not sure they followed them completely, but they at least went in the direction I told them.

No comments: