Sunday, December 7, 2008

Recreo Popsicles and Anabel

Karen (the best pic I have of her-doesn't do her justice)

Baltazar

Anabel is the first grade teacher whose teaching and discipline strategies are not my favorite.
Las week was her week to sell the popsicles.  Teachers of the higher grades usually put a student or two in charge of the money and distribution and then collect it at the end of recreo.  Since Anabel teaches first grade, they obviously cannot be responsible for money and such.  Anabel then, has to sit outside with the big bowl of popsicles and sell them and collect the money herself.  She has a big fan club, though.  About six or seven of her students join her on the steps.  These are the students who are hard to manhandle, but who speak English during math class.
Baltazar is a very short, very round little fellow in her group.  He does what he wants, which usually is the opposite of what I want.  He doesn't listen, and if I attempt to make him listen, he runs out of the classroom (a popular solution in her room).  He loves me, though.  During recreo, he always pokes his head into the computer room, or even comes and stands beside me to see what I'm working on.  I really want to tell him that I won't listen to him since he doesn't listen to me in his class.  I haven't done that yet.  We'll see if I do.
Karin is a precious little perfect being of a first grader who loves English, me, school, life.  She answers almost every question, and it's rare that she's wrong.  She has a sweet ponytail and her smile is one of those that brightens a room.
These two were a part of the Fan Club de Anabel on Friday.  I bought a popsicle, paid my 5 pesos (the ones that have ice cream instead of just fruit juice cost 5 pesos instead of 3), and was walking away when I hear, "Teacher!"  It was Anabel.  I turned around and she asked me who I thought would be a teacher out of them.  I said Karin, of course.  She said, "No, who wants to be an English teacher.  Who do you think?"  I reiterated my first answer.
Who was it?
Baltazar.
Yeah.
Right.

No comments: