Thursday, December 11, 2008

Normal Wednesday

I had a very normal Wednesday.  Mabel texted me during the morning asking if we could go to Home Depot at 4:30.  I had asked her this weekend if we could shop for a lamp since my room is so dark.  The walls are green, so when I video chat when it's dark outside with such a weak light, I feel like I'm filming Blair Witch!
I ran more than I usually run since it had been a week.  I'm trying to get into running since it's something I can do during daylight (yoga's at night) and avoid afternoon boredom.  I was only out and about for about 40 minutes instead of my usual hour, but I spent more of it running and less of it walking.  My legs told me that later in the day!
She got home right about 4:30 and off we went.  There was not a huge selection and no floor lamp was under $45.  Forget that cheap dorm lamp for ten bucks!  Then the task was finding a bulb.  I, of course, wanted an earth friendly bulb but they all seemed to come in packages of six for way too much money.  Finally I found one, but then the base size wasn't the same as the base for my lamp.  We wandered, asked, wandered some more.  Finally we made it out of there.
Leaving a big store like that is difficult.  It's a lot like the way we do Sam's at home.  Only you have to get your receipt stamped at the cashier and then on the way out, your purchases are checked and your receipt is stamped again.
It was a bit bottlenecked.  I'm still not used to the pushing and shoving that goes on to be the next in line.  Silly American!
I asked if we were having dinner with Papá and she looked at me like I was crazy.  So I guess either they both forgot or else it was cancelled.  
I told her about my night with Shania and Alma and that we might be getting together again later this week.  On Friday, we would be going to Wings Army again.  I told her she probably couldn't go because of the Posada in our privada, but that I'd like to go.  She said, "Hija, we're not having our posada.  It's been cancelled.  Maybe next weekend."  How was I supposed to know?  Now I know.  So we'll be going to Wings tomorrow.
We got back to the house and I had two recipes from Mom for some easy things I could make for our posada de la zona escolar (school zone party).  Since Anabel (1st) is hosting, we're all taking something.  The one tomorrow night for just our teachers, we won't take anything; we'll use school money to buy stuff for a carne asada.  I can't wait!
Since I had gotten the recipes for something typical from the South (and KY more specifically), I thought that would be a hit.  Off I went to Mega to buy the ingredients for pimento cheese and benedictine.  I left the house, rode the bus to Mega, purchased and walked back in an hour.  I don't really like pimento cheese and I haven't yet tried the benedictine, but we'll see what they think of it.

1 comment:

WordGirl said...

What's benedictine?

Are you coming home for Christmas? I know Bekah would love to send you a care package - maybe after the first of the year when you're back in Mexico and missing things? Can you send me details on how to get stuff to you? What items do you miss most??
-Shannon