Tuesday, December 16, 2008

How to make buñuelos

Tía Laura begins by dumping the flour into a big bowl.  This is where all the magic will happen!

Tía Laura measures the lard by scooping some into her hand until "it looks right."  Awesome.  After she decided what looked right, she guessed as to the official amount.  The amounts are important (even though she judges them by feel and look) because it determines the stickiness of your dough.  After kneading it for a bit, she started throwing it around in the bowl.  It was a pounding sound.  She was not messing around!
She even broke the blue plastic bowl you can see at the bottom border of the picture!  After ten years of buñuelos, I'd say it was probably time for a replacement anyway.



My first tortilla.  Homemade.  Tía Laura says these buñuelos taste the best, not because of the ingradients, but because they're made with love.  It's silly and cliche, but it's also true.  It seems like such a natural process.  Notice my recipe paper at the bottom right.  I wrote down (sometimes in Spanish, sometimes in English) all the little details I needed to know.  I am determined to make this a new Laura tradition!



I was actually pretty good at the rolling process.  It's not as easy as you might think.  Tía Laura said I was lucky to have photo documentation because no one would believe I had made such beautiful tortillas!



The drying rack.  By the end of the day, we had nearly 150 tortillas!



The rolling is so rhythmic.  It's really a neat thing to participate in, but also really neat to see from the outside after having participated.



Tía Laura, Maricela, and Mabel are hard at work on kilo 2 of our buñuelos.  I got tired after a short bit and Tía suggested I take a break.  I took her advice.



Here, Tía Laura is "browning" the tortillas.  These would not be good tortillas for tacos or quesadillas because they are too thin.  However, it's the same recipe for those tortillas.  You just roll them out less.  I didn't get any pictures of the last few steps (frying and the sauce) because I was busy helping!  And then of course, we were eating!
As we were enjoying the fruit of our labor, two of Laura's sisters came over and I got the feeling they hadn't seen the sisters in a long time.  (One of them even called me Alma!)

No comments: