Sunday, December 21, 2008

Dixie Chicks invade!

After jingling all the way, the rest of the school day was a wash.  That's how we roll here in Mexico!  We finished the singing part (all 7 groups) by 10 I'd say and that's when the food started.  This was another one of those pot-luck fundraisers.  Teachers drew from a pot a sheet of paper that would tell what their class was required to provide for the potluck.  One class had to bring tamales, so the teacher assigned 2 tamales per student.  Others had bean sandwiches or soft drinks, so the teacher just took care of that.  Still others had something special like ceviche (a soupy shrimp dish) or esquite (creamed corm with lots of other additions), so they would ask one family to take care of it.  Whoever purchased supplies for the food was reimbursed, leaving the leftover dough for the school.
I miraculously withheld from eating this time (the food seemed to lack the luster it had the first go-round), but when Sandra offered up free paletas (popsicles), I took her up on it.
By 10:30, the crowd was winding down.
The 6th graders, however, were not losing any steam.  Fresh from their electric slide lesson the day before, they wanted to showcase it.  The girls were begging me to play the CD over the loudspeaker.  They wanted it to be a part of the singing show, but would settle for just doing it for fun.  The boys were pleading with their eyes not to dance.  I told them that no one had to dance but that they were more than welcome to play the song and if they wanted me to dance with them I would.  They took me up on it (and of course the boys quickly joined in).
I could see some of the younger students watching with hope of learning a dance.  I think I'll teach the electric slide to all my classes (well, maybe not first grade), and teach 6th grade other line dances as well (they need something special since they're the oldest, right?).

No comments: