Thursday, December 4, 2008

2nd grade

Those little punks that had to have a talkin' to on Tuesday went and totally redeemed themselves today!  Class seemed to fly by.  The grammar for this lesson is a bit difficult- for the whole unit actually.  They're learning the profession vocabulary pretty quickly.  I'm not sure they recognize the words so well when they see them, but that's next on my agenda.  Maybe some flashcards.
The grammar, however, combines the positive and negative form, but also requires the use of multiple verb forms, including contractions!
My mom's a nurse.
My mom's not a nurse.
Easy enough.  But what about these forms?
My mom is not a nurse.
My mom isn't a nurse.
I'm a nurse.
I'm not a nurse.
He's not a nurse.
He isn't a nurse.
This is not so simple!  Considering that Mexican education revolves around memorization, this is tricky stuff!  If they memorize "My mom's" and "My mom's not," they would do well on a test that only had those forms.  It's much more likely, though, that they'll memorize one form (if they even do that much!) and then be SO confused on the test when it has the word "isn't."  Then what?
The truth is, that's my job.  I need to expose them to these phrases more than what is offered in the book.  I need to be speaking these phrases as much as possible until it sounds natural to them.  Then, I need to make sure they see it written enough that they can understand it if they read it on the test.  Finally, I need to use the books more as the assessment and check for understanding as opposed to the teaching tool.  I'm excited about this unit.  I'm satisfied with the work second grade has done on their previous tests.  I have high hopes for the upcoming test.  It will be another full week at least before they have it.  Cross your fingers that I do my job!

No comments: