Monday, December 1, 2008

Maria Fernanda




I have three first graders by this name.  One in my first class and two in my second class.  In the pictures where there is more than one student, the Maria Fernanda is on your left.  
The first two are from my second group (I can never predict the order blogger will input my pictures!), Martha's class.  The last picture is from my first group, Anabel's.
The first MF is my star student.  She's an amazing listener, speaker, and learner.  She's always paying attention, helping those around her, excited about her tests, etc.  She's a semi-ideal student.
The other two are good unassuming students.  They listen.  When I call attention to them (like when I'm asking a question and no one answers it, but I can see their mouths moving to form the right words) in a positive way, a smile breaks free on their faces.  They love English (and probably me), but in a very subdued, overlooked way.  They're a lot like Rosita, the 3rd grader who drew the picture for me.
All three of these girls have books.
At the beginning of the year, I didn't know anyone's name.  I didn't even know I had three Maria Fernandas!  About three or four weeks into the year, MF #1's mom asked me about her book.  She said she had paid and MF still didn't have her book.
Uh oh.
I realized my mistake.  I had given her book to one of the others.  I think I gave it to MF #3, but at this point, I can't be sure.
Now, in December, they all have books.  One of them did not pay for it.
Either one (#2 or #3) deserves it and I'm not sad to be out the 140 pesos in order to see that rewarding smile.
I wish I could've done it for all of them.

No comments: