Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Hit me baby one more time....

Sunday was the day set for my last posada (I think).  It was for the entire Inglés en Primaria (Elementary English teachers and supervisors) program.  1:00 was the intended start time.  Maricela had spent the night, so Mabel took her home and came back.  I don't remember what I busied myself doing, but it wasn't church.
We left the house around 1:30 and got to the party when I would've liked, but we were still some of the very first there.  Alma was there, as was Ana Luisa.  Mabel and I sat down at a fairly empty table and began eating nuts and mandarins.  We had a good long chat again about the differences of the US and here.  She asked me why I didn't live with Megan.  And why I lived with Ashley.  And how I had met them both.  
Since Mexicans live at home until they're married (including during college since there are no dorms), they don't really understand the whole roommate situation and what all goes into it.  She said, "You should live with Megan.  You both work at the same place.  You're friends.  You both speak Spanish.  How easy is that?"  I had a hard time explaining it to her, but I tried.  I went into how a dorm is (living with 200 girls at a time) and how living with one or two people takes some planning.  By the end, she still wasn't understanding, so I told her that there are just a lot of things you have to look for in a roommate, not just the same work location (aside from the fact that we would leave at different times and do different things after school, that would be too much time together!).  She then said that Megan and I must not be good friends.  That if we were good friends we'd be able to live together.  I told her to ask Megan if she would live with me and if she thought I would live with her.  We'll see if she follows through.  She then jumped to a strange understanding saying that she could live with anyone because she could be polite to anyone, even strangers in a conversation at the table.  For example, she could chat with the other people at our table even though she didn't know them.  Therefore, she could be their roommate.  She was not getting it.  I told her to move to the States and live with another person for longer than a school year and see just how easy it was.  I don't think it's hard, but I do think there are some delicacies to be dealt with; you don't just move in and everything's perfect.  Different people have different styles of living and that can be okay or that can really drive you nuts.
After that in-depth, too-deep conversation, I looked up and saw a girl that was very familiar to me.  Her name is Heidy and I met her at the textbook workshop the first week I was here (before I started teaching).  She actually goes to Yuri's church (the one I've gone to about three times).  We chatted for a few minutes and I met her brother (also an English teacher) and his girlfriend.  They came and sat at our table and we talked for a long time.  They were both interested in how to do the exchange program, what it was about, and who was behind it.  Heidy studied in Canada for six months in high school.  I'm assuming her brother had done some sort of travel because he was intense in his questioning about the Fulbright exchange.  We talked about differences, and food, and our schools.  She invited me to the church's posada, but I will be busy (it's tonight).  
By the time the food was ready (close to 3), the place was pretty full.  We got in line for our tacos (I chose two that seemed like pulled barbecue) and inhaled them, even though I was full of nuts and mandarins.  While people were eating, the karaoke slowed, but they put on a play list so that there was always music while we were eating.  All of a sudden, the Mexican version of Achy Breaky Heart (that I had recorded at the baseball game) was on and they started dancing the electric slide in the middle of the room.  It was mostly enlaces, and they all started chanting my name.  I assumed it was because it was a line dance, but it was actually because they thought they'd be teaching me something.  They were all shocked to find out I already knew the dance!  Marco, one of the guys that had been at the birthday party the weekend before (the one who enjoyed my accent, but told me I spoke and understood really well), was there and wanted to dance a different dance.  I thought it was the boot scoot, so when the song changed, I started doing it with him.  It wasn't the boot scoot.  I don't know what it was, but I learned that one and then taught him the boot scoot.  It was fun and funny.  The other teachers weren't interested.  They just wanted to do the electric slide faster.
That song ended and I went back to my seat where Ana Luisa was serving buñuelos.  They were not made with love, so they were not as good, but I had no trouble finishing mine!  Suddenly I hear my name, and César (I think), who is an enlace and who had been at Shania's dinner on Monday is running towards me shouting my name.  Just to set the scene, he's wearing a t-shirt and a red puffy vest.  They're all about winter apparel here even when it's not cole enough for it!
He grabs my hand and drags me to the karaoke machine where Diana (the one in the band) is singing.  There are about 10 enlaces dancing and I must shake it Mexican (salsa) style until the end of the song.  The song ends and he goes to change the song, so I make a run for it.  Alma came and talked to us for a bit and I said my hellos to Maribel (who had had a headache all weekend due to the break-in at the IeP (English dept.) office and was only there for a few minutes to be seen.
Around 5, everyone ran outside to attack the piñata (also a necessity at posadas, but I had yet to see one at this point), and Mabel and I decided to make our exit.  I despedirse'd (said goodbye to) everyone and reminded Alma that Sunday I was leaving and that we should plan something for Saturday.  She was on it.

No comments: