Thursday, December 4, 2008

It's beginning to look a lot like Navidad!

Earlier this week, I saw some poinsettias (nochebuenas) for sale on the Malecón across from Forum mall while on my walk/run through Culiacán.  I decided I needed a little Christmas cheer in my room, and that at some point this week I would walk/run with some pesos and pick one up.  I figured I could walk slowly and carefully with a flower for the last 15 minutes instead of running or walking briskly.  For 35 pesos, I got this perfectly-sized poinsettia for my room.  I'm certain I'll be able to kill it rather quickly; it might not be totally my fault because it didn't seem to come with enough dirt to even hold itself up straight.  We'll see.  Also on that trip home, I decided to buy a lamb.  Within my first week here, Mabel showed me her New Year's lamb.  Apparently it's a Mexican New Year's good luck tradition.  The lamb can be hung on the doorknob or above the door to bring wealth.  I'm already enjoying wealth in a way that I never have before just by being here.  With the dollar doing so well coupled with everything's being so cheap, it's too easy!  Once I get my reimbursement check, I'll have more treasures (but they're for those of you reading, so I won't post pictures!).


No comments: