Thursday, December 11, 2008

Lucaha Libre

Laura, Shania, Alma, Karina, Ocyé, a girl I don't know

Apparently "weapons" are allowed.

They come into the crowds some during the fight.  This, however, was the victory speech.

A) We were this close.  B) They should reconsider their wardrobes!

At long last....
So after dinner on Tuesday night, Shania, Alma and I decided to try out the Lucha Libre.  Maribel had already told me weeks ago that Alma loved going.  Maribel said it with a bit of distaste in her face, but also with laughter because Alma is Alma.  On the way to dinner, Alma had mentioned the possibility and said that she thought I would enjoy it because there were always foreigners.  Not to mention it's a part of Mexican culture that I need to know!
We got there and met Ocyé out front.  She works for a local radio station (I don't know if it's part time like everything else seems to be or if it's full time) and goes to all these events.  She loves it.  She had a favorite wrestler and everything!  She took Shania's camera with her back to the press only area but couldn't take any pictures because she was so awestruck!
Shania, like me, had never been before.  
We called Ocyé from outside and she came out and gave us two tickets.  Karina walked up about that time and we all went in.  We got "club bracelets" and walked to the floor level.  There are no assigned seats, and I didn't see any foreigners.  We watched the one fight (we were too late for the four that came before!) and Shania was hilarious saying "they're not really hitting each other" and "that is so fake."  It was a good time and I was still home by 11.
Alma told me that on Saturday (after the Posada with Mabel and after the birthday party we went to briefly) that she had stayed at the party until 6am, at which point they were all hungry, so they drove to Altata to eat breakfast!
Crazy.

No comments: