Tuesday, December 16, 2008

La Gringa

The gringa came out today.  She was a relatively calm gringa, but a gringa no less.
The morning started on a crowded bus (today).  There was one seat left when I got on and I had to crawl over a girl who did not do her part to make it easier.
School was GREAT.  I'll tell you about the music show in its own chronological order.  I left school and decided to go downtown for some more Christmas inspiration.  I found it.
Then I figured why not buy some things at my favorite store, Zara, and take them back to the US now instead of in July when I'll have two bulging suitcases.
The bus from downtown to the mall was awful.  First I got cut off three times while trying to be polite and let the people beside me go (they had been letting every female go in front of them-I thought I should reward them for their kindness).  That's just the way it is in most cultures besides the US, but I may not ever get used to literally being pushed around.
The bus ride was even difficult.  The driver seemed unconcerned that there was not even breathing room (I'm not being a dramatic gringa here- he skipped two stops because no one would fit on.  Literally.) and took the hills and turns on two wheels.  
I get off at Forum and decide that lunch will wait until after I shop.  For one, I want the clothes to fit when I try them on (ha!), and for two, it's not even 1:00 here and the proper lunch hour is 2.
I tried on a bunch of stuff at first.  I had 8 things and they told me I could only take back 6 at a time.  They hung on to the other two for me until I was ready to trade.
I took three from that pile and went out to check out the other half of the store!  I found more things.  With the three I thought I wanted to by, I had about 10 this go round.  I entered and told the girl I had my six and she could hold on to the others.  She said I was limited to six.  I responded that I had my six, but could she hold these please?  
No, we don't do that.
You just did it 5 minutes ago...
That was another girl, right?
Right.
Well, you can't do that.
I don't know what was wrong with me, but it flew all over me!  What was I supposed to do with the things I knew I wanted to buy?  Put them back on the rack and assume I'd remember which and where and on and on?   And where was the customer service?  The smile (you never get a smile here- like you're imposing on them)?  
Well, I didn't see the need for Zara (or this girl) to profit from me.  I was probably going to spend about $100 by the time all was said and done.  But I just set everything down right there on the counter of the dressing room and walked out!
What's wrong with me?!
I still want some of those things.
I'll go back this week.  And all will have been lost since they'll still be profiting from me...

No comments: