Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The After-After-Party

Laura, Mabel

Roberto (principal), Sandra (computers)

Ramón (PE), Ulises (3rd)
They arrived together which led to romance jokes.  They posed for some funny pictures with heart frames, etc.  Ulises is married and Ramón may/may not be, but I think he has a kid (and I know he thinks he's a Romeo)


After sitting through the song and dance routine (literally!), I was more than ready to be at my party.  I wasn't nervous that we were late or anything like that.  I was, however, tired of seeing other people's kids sing and dance!
We got home and made my cute little sandwiches and had enough of both leftover to make a giant blob of dip as well.  I had bought a cute Christmas dish for it at Mega when I went on Wednesday, so it even had great presentation.
All three of us piled into the car and headed to Anabel's house.  The street was packed with cars, so Mabel said I should get out and she could park the car.
I walked in and saw about 8 tables set up and each table had at least 3 people at it.  Our table (Rafael Buelna school) consisted of Hernán (custodian), Anabel (1st grade/hostess), Roberto (principal), Sandra (computers), and Rocio (2nd) when I got there.  Each table was for a specific school or the zona administration.  Many of the people who had been at my school that day for the Consul's visit were at the posada.  Each school (table) was responsible for providing the food for its own table.  By the time we got there, most of the things at our table had been half-eaten, but that didn't stop them from finishing off my benedictines and pimento cheese!
Mabel and Cosette came in and joined our table.  Cosette was quickly whisked away by other kids that were there.  They entertained themselves (unsupervised, like all child activity in Mexico it seems) while we ate and chatted.  After a while, Martha (1st), Ramón (PE), and Ulises (3rd) showed up and joined in on the munching.
There was karaoke (a must have at any Mexican party celebrating anything) and dancing.  At one point, almost everyone got up and danced in the driveway.  I passed.  Too many eyes on me (it felt like).  I did promise to teach them how to dance USA style the following night, at the posada for just the teachers at our school.  They told me to bring music, etc.
I was sad to find out at this posada that Martha (my favorite teacher-1st grade-the one who first helped me at the train station) is actually only covering a position.  Kind of a long-term substitute.  The "real teacher" will be back in January.  I can't imagine how the kids will be with a new teacher.  I just love her class and the environment she has created.  I fear for January.
It was fun noticing the differences (that I've already noticed) in the role of the administrator.  Mabel and I actually talked at length about this at the table.  The principal is a key person in any school in any country I think.  Their roles, however, differ from place to place.  Discipline is not in the job description in Mexico.  Nor are classroom observations (this is NEVER done, which explains why everyone was so nervous and thought I would be too).  The social function or a principal, however, is very important.  It sets the tone and trust of the school.  There is no discussion of work outside of work.  This is not a rule.  It's an unspoken norm, and I've noticed that in other people's jobs, too.  At times in the US, I think our jobs define us to a fault.  However, I think of the most part, we're defined by our jobs (at least I am) because there's a certain pride in our work.  Even if it's not the job we'd hoped, we still are proud of the work we put into it.  Am I making any sense?  Here, I get the feeling that a job is a job is a job.  There's no pride in what your job is.  I think this also explains why the Mexican teachers sometimes have a harder time adapting to teaching in the US (never mind that they don't get to go out as much as in Mexico, or that their schedule is at least twice as long, or that there are checks balances in place to make sure each person is doing his job!).  There is very little ownership in their jobs.  Mexican teachers aren't on committees (they don't exist).  Collaboration is going against the flow.  Things are just different.
On another rambling note that has nothing to do with the posada, two teachers from Mexico will be returning to Mexico at Christmas break.  Thankfully, not one of them is from Culiacán (remember that there are three from here even though I'm the only one who came from the US)!  There is one in Portland, Oregon and another in Houston, Texas.  Comexus, thankfully, is trying to find a permanent substitute situation for the US schools so the US teachers can stay here.  I'm kind of in shock.
So, back to the posada, seeing the "old blood" dancing with the "new blood" was weird.  Not just different, but weird for me.  Socializing with an administrator sometimes is seen as unprofessional in the US.  I started realizing that the weekend the principal was passing out the beers at our get together.
We stayed several hours until we really needed to get home and get Cosette in bed.  I called Shania on my way home because she had mentioned they'd be getting sushi that night.  She answered and they were finishing up.  She was tired from a long day of funeral stuff, so I jsut decided to go home with the gals.

No comments: