Sunday, December 7, 2008

Just another Saturday

The predictability of our Saturdays has come to be something I enjoy.  I'm truly beginning to love the not knowing and not planning; the consistency and stability of our Saturday activities, though, keeps me grounded.
We cleaned (minus the cleaning lady- my room is sub-par, but cleaner and livable) and left for Papá's around 1 which was later than usual.  I was glad I had had a big breakfast at 10 because it was bound to be after 3 before we got to lunch!  I put my laundry in and Papá played with Cosette awhile before he had to leave.  I don't remember why.  Maricela continued cooking and we four sat around cracking walnuts (with our hands!) and chatting.  Mabel also called her aunt Laura to see if we could come make buñuelos next weekend.  Our date is set for 9am next Sarturday!  
Papá's birthday was Sunday, so he had some leftover tres leches cake in the fridge that he shared with me when he got back.  By the time Mabel got her laundry into the washer, it was close to 2, and we decided to go on the hunt for some tortillas.  Yuri's mom had given me a packet of tortillas to take to her when we met up in Cozumel.  She gave Mabel a pack, too, and we both put a big dent in them in the 10 hours between the time she dropped them off and the time I left Culiacán.  I'm talking about deliciosas!  So.  I want to take some home for the holidays for everyone to try, and Mabel wanted to make sure she could find the place.  We could sample them over the next two weeks and get some more for me to take home with me once it was closer to time.  We drove all over creation.  Mabel wasn't completely sure where the tortilleria was, clearly, but we kept looking.  She finally decided it would be a good idea to cal Yuri's mom.  We had to first stop at the Oxxo to get some phone credit and then she called.  We were not even in the right area of town.  We made our way there only to find out that they were out of that kind of tortilla until Monday.  At least we knew where it was.  By this time, I'm approaching starving and have a headache from a combination of sunglasses pinching my head (is it gaining weight too?!), no food, and no Diet Coke yet.  We went back to the house, got our laundry, and headed home to cook lunch.  Mabel had a salad with her processed chicken patties, and I had a salad with my fish filet.  
It was 4:00.
Mabel got ready for our party and took Cosette to Mamá Lupe's house (her other grandmother).  She came back for me and off we went.  We stopped to pick up plates, cups, napkins, ice, and drinks.  Mabel had bought a bottle of tequila (and sampled it) earlier in the week and we took that, too.
We arrived at the party that was supposed to start at 5 around 5:45 and were the second car to arrive.  They were still setting up the tables and chairs for us to sit in the patio area (that is actually a lot like we would picture a Mexican garage)...

No comments: