Wednesday, December 17, 2008

another posada?!

After our 12 hour stint at buñuelos, I was not in the most festive mood, but I still wanted to hang out with Alma at the next posada.  I'm getting into the swing of this do-something-every-moment thing!
Maricela had driven us, so she took us to Cosette's grandparents and picked her up and the dropped us all off at home.  Mabel and I both rested for several hours (10pm was the intended departure time).  I took a shower and was sitting on my bed in shorts, a t-shirt, and a towel at 9:15 when she poked her head in.  She had told me at 7:30 that she wasn't sure if her dad could keep Cosette.  That she would let me know at 8.  She wasn't wanting to go, which was fine, but she never told me yes or no.  I figured I'd call Alma around 10 (about the time she was probably starting to get ready!) if Mabel had still not surfaced.
At 9:15 she's dolled up and ready to go, and there I sat with a towel on my head!  Luckily, I'm queen at getting ready quickly and I had already decided what to wear.  I got my hair brushed (it dried amazingly!) and threw on some makeup.  I was ready to party by 9:35.  We left the house to drop Cosette off and pick up Maricela.  This party was for the Centro de Idiomas staff, so Alma was going to be the only person I knew.  I might recognize some faces, but I was planning on not knowing too many people.  Mabel worked at Centro de Idiomas so I knew she would know a few people there.
When we got to Papá's house, Maricela was still upstairs asleep!  Luckily all she had to do was change (she must've showered before or else she hadn't gotten buñuelo flour all over her like I had) and was down by 10ish.  Papá didn't realize I was there and came downstairs in a towel.  He got all embarrassed and it was kind of hilarious.
We left the house right around 10:30 and got to the house by 10:35.  Once we got there, the party size doubled.  The hostess and two others were there.  We sat and munched on peanuts and mandarins and watched some girls sing karaoke.  
Alma miraculously showed up next.  It was 10:50ish, but she was next in line.  I asked her what had happened to get her there so early.  She said it was kind of her party.  Apparently she's in the administration at CdI and she felt the need to be there.  With her was a friend that I don't think I've met, but that knew who I was.  She is the girl who has a ranch and horses.  When Mabel and I went to the party where they played water soccer, Alma had mentioned going somewhere to ride horses (in case you remember that story).  This was the girl.  She said she had been trying to find a time for me to come, but that Alma had told her all the weekends I was traveling and now it was "cold."  So, I'm guessing sometime in March, April, or May, I'll be horseback riding!
I chatted with her (Mayra?  I don't remember) almost the whole night.  She was very sweet.  Something about her reminds me of someone at home, though I don't know who and I don't know what!  She's a pre-K teacher in the public schools and has the youngest kids (2-3 year olds).  She has 20 at a time and an aide.  
The hostess had told us to get up and sing karaoke (I declined in this group of desconocidos) because Ocyé and Karina (two of Alma's friends that we're always with) would be there soon and would not give up the microphone once they got it!  I didn't know just how right she was.
Ocyé is the one who works at a radio station (I'm not sure if it's full or part-time) and she was out emcee and hysterical.  She would announce "acts" (though either she or Karina was always the second in the duet) and then if a guy was singing, she would run up screaming like a fan.  It was too funny.  
Shania was supposed to be coming to this party, but by 2 when we left, she hadn't shown.  Mabel and Maricela were ready to leave.  I wanted to see Shania, but she was at another party and who knows how long that was going to last.  I was tired, too from all the bakery work I had done!  We called it a night and headed home.  This was not my favorite posada, but it wasn't a bad one.  I just wasn't hungry (they had tamales!) and I didn't feel so hot (not sure why).  

No comments: