Monday, April 27, 2009

Stupid Swine

It's time to fill you in with an actual entry for today.
While at school today, we received the news that school would be closed until next Wednesday, May 6 due to the swine flu.  This is a strange date to choose, you say, but not really.  School was already set to be out May 1, 4, and 5 to celebrate the holiday cinco de mayo.  So really, we only get three more days.
Supposedly in Culiacán, this is the preventative measure.  There are no known cases in my city of Culiacán and I think not even in the state of Sinaloa...
There are deaths and many cases in the rest of the country, but it started in Mexico City (consequently while I was there) and this is one of those times I can be thankful I'm so far from everything.
Patrick has given me some advice on some meds to take, both preventative and if I happen to start showing symptoms.  I'm going to do my best to take care of that at a pharmacy on my own.  If I can't, my great helper Sandra has a brother in law or someone who is a doctor and she will work on getting us prescriptions.
As for now, all is well.  I'll just be bored and out of school.  
I go back and forth from realizing all is well and I'm in a state that's far away to feeling really freaked out.

As if this isn't enough, for you praying folks out there, say a prayer for my brother Patrick.  He's in the hospital in Louisville right now, where he's been since Thursday.  Basically there's something making his heart go crazy, and they've been trying to figure it out for two days.  They've come up with nothing so far.
Same with him; I go back and forth between he's telling me he's fine and I believe him to being really worried about him.  Being far away just sucks sometimes.
Thanks for your prayers.

No comments: