Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Being at the beach without being at the beach! Cont'd.

I had big plans for Wednesday.  We had decided we would go to the beach on Wednesday.  I was mentally prepared to be up and at 'em at 8am, on the beach by 9 and stuck there until about 7 pm or later, possibly taking a break for lunch.
Renato beat us all up.  I woke up around 9 to the clickety click click click of the computer in the living room between our two rooms.  If I had gotten up before Renato, I would've had a chance at my all day beachathon.  However, since he was already up, I didn't feel like I could just run off to the beach.  Besides, everyone else got up and going within the hour.
I ate my breakfast, got my bathing suit on, and waited anxiously for the plan.
The girls showered, fixed their hair, and put on makeup.
Hmm.
Around 12:30, we were finally walking out the door.  I had my towel, sunscreen, book and iPod in my hands.  I was ready for a big day.
Off we went, only we went in the opposite direction of our beach from the night before.  We were going to the touristy beach.
We walked on the city sidewalk for about ten minutes and then scaled a wall to get over to the beach.  Success.  Here, we began walking.  After stopping for a coconut and asking how much the chairs cost, we continued walking.  Ten minutes later, Renato tells me that he's sure the water's not too cold for a Tennessean.  I don't go into the tanning process of sit on the beach until you're dripping wet, then get in.  I just said that I would wait.  We walked some more.  We debate what the plan is.  
The final plan we come up with is to go ahead and eat lunch since we're tired of walking and will be hungry soon.  Nice.  So we climb our way back to the street, grab a cab to the mall, and enjoy some fine Chinese cuisine.  From there, we take the city bus back toward the house, stopping at the Oxxo, where there is a promotion for Sol beer.  Renato and Jair both buy 12 packs of 24-oz cans and get a free koozie and cooler for 99 pesos.  Less than 10 bucks.  That's right.  I'll never readjust to spending after this year.
The way they promote beer here is, well, I guess similar to that in the States.  It's pure sex appeal.  They pay (mildly attractive to fiercely unattractive) women to stand in the Oxxo next to the beer and smile at men who walk in.  There is no conversation to be had with any female.  It works I suppose.  Neither Renato nor Jair like Sol beer, and they prefer the regulation size cans (they don't get hot as fast), but they were sold.  I'm hoping most of the reasoning was the free cooler, given the appearance of these girls.
Anyway, with that, it was 4:00 and we were back at the house, getting rid of the Sol

1 comment:

Amanda said...

So like real ladies....like abercrombie models at christmas. Interesting.