Saturday, April 25, 2009

Playa Privada


Friday was the day for the private beach.  I was super-glad I had chosen to stay another day.  We all piled into three different cars I think (or maybe two, with one being a truck) and made our way "out of town."  We actually had to pass through the old downtown of Manzanillo.  The drive was about 45 minutes, but when you don't know where you're going, you always feel like you're almost there, so it doesn't seem so long.  I rode in the car with Adriana's daughter Adriana, her husband, their two kids (in her lap), Karla and Nadia.  We were much more comfortable than the other group(s).  
We passed the outskirts of town and entered through this guarded gate.  We climbed a mountain and then went down the other side of it.  This beach has some sort of exclusive membership.  There were outdoorsy things (a zip line, 4 wheelers, volleyball nets), but most came with a private beach price tag.  We decided just to enjoy each others' company.

The first order of business was exploring where we were.  We climbed up to the top of the zip line and took some pictures and enjoyed the amazing view.  The girls picture was meant to be centered between two flags.  However, the two we were between were the US and Canada.  One over from Canada was Mexico, so I'm not sure how that happened.  (Karla, Nadia, me, Rocío, Liliana)
The boys did a better job of centering between the two, but that put Canada right behind them and whoever took this picture didn't do a good job of including the other two!  (Topete, cousin César, Jair, Chapo, Iván, Renato)There was a miniature path from the flags to another viewpoint.  We got there just in time to see literally hundreds of dolphins following two boats.  They must've known we were there because they jumped.  A lot.  And very high.  (Karla, Rocío, Nadia, me)
At this point, it was time to break out the ceviche and eat.  So we all had some lunch and filled our empty stomachs.  I am one who loves to sit after I eat (and not be too hot), but today was not the day for that.  Liliana immediately got up and jumped on the trampoline.  I would have none of that.  I stayed in the shade and counted down to the vomit.  Amazingly it never came.
Then she and Renato went down to the chairs on the beach, but the sand was so miserably hot, you could almost feel it through your shoes.  Before too long, we joined them.  Again, I was the only one sporting my bathing suit.  Sorry, but I'm not about to be on a beach in full clothing!  I kept my shoes on and sprinted down to the water.  It was way to choppy to get in, but it felt great for wading.
At that point, almost everyone was down in the sand part and wanted to go exploring.  So off we went.
We found several extra beaches.  They were the kind that when the tide is up there is no beach; it goes straight from rocky steps to water.   I felt very much like I was in a movie (I think I've said that multiple times this year) with the way the beaches and paths were set up.
When we walked back, it was time to munch again.  I wasn't hungry, so I didn't munch.  But they had aguachile, which is so similar to ceviche.  I think I had it at our school's posada, but I'm not sure.  
Cousin Adriana helps her daughter jump while the big kids went exploring.  Adriana looks just like her mom.  Her daughter, however, clearly got the coloring and looks from her dad's side of the family!
After a great day at the beach, we headed back to the house.  For Friday night Manzanillo fun, we had planned to go to the club that is on Lili's uncle's hotel's property.  Through many miscommunications, we were under the impression we would get in free and have an open tab all night.  None of that was true, but of course we didn't know that until the moment of.
Our trip back to the house was hilarious.  After being on the beach all day, we were tired and burned.  We were absolutely worn out and we could feel every minute of the 45 back to town.  What's more, we were almost all packed in the back of the truck because Adriana had left early with her family.  So we only had aunt Adriana's car with Hector in it.  And they only wanted clean, dry passengers.  You can imagine how many of us were even just one of those adjectives!
The back up a pick-up is bumpy, I think, on a flat road.  In a mountain and through a poorly-paved old town, it's pretty much miserable.  And the bed of the truck was ridged, so Topete kept saying, "I'm a Ruffle.  I'm a Ruffle!"  Referring to the potato chips.  (Pronunciation for effect: ROOF-lay)  He would also moo loudly when we would go around a curve or hit a bump.  At least we had entertainment!
These two pictures are only two of a fifteen minute photo session on the rocks.  The stereotype is that Chinese people take lots of pictures.  My money's on a Mexican any day!




No comments: