Sunday, April 26, 2009

Ballet- one of my very favorite things all week

Sunday morning came bright and earlier than we'd have liked, but we did what we went to Mexico City to do, and we got up and going to get the most out of our day.  
We decided it would be best to take the metro to get there.  It would probably require a transfer or two, but my experience in Spain was that the metro got you there so much faster than anything else.  And in Mexico (and actually any city), I'm really scared of the buses for some reason.  I feel like I can end up so lost and that I have no idea where to get off.
So we get to the steamy metro/subway and figure our path.  Then as we're buying tickets/cards, I verify with the lady behind the glass.  She tells me a faster route, but also says that there's a micro that passes right by the subway exit that goes to the Auditorium stop.  She said that would be easier (with no transfers) and faster (with no waiting at transfers).  I was nervous, but trusted her.  So we exit, ask an old man at the little snack stand, and he tells that we're in the right place and it should be coming through any minute.  The path, however, is different on Sunday mornings.  Sunday mornings in DF are so cool.  They close the main sections of many streets (which is fine because many who would be driving have just gotten in bed a couple of hours before from Saturday night) to cars and open them only to bikers, runners, and roller bladers.  It's really a neat thing!  This meant that our micro would be coming from a different direction, but our old man had our backs!  He waited with us, filling the airspace with lots of information- the weather, his past as a trumpet player, other stuff that I just tuned out.
The micro arrived shortly and we boarded.  7 pesos total for both of us!  We got our seats and waited for the rest of Mexico City to show up.  I was wishing we'd just go since it was approaching 9 and we had wanted to be there at 9.  We waited while our old man friend shouted "Auditorio," the name of the final destination, over and over.  You know how the "peanuts, popcorn" guys at baseball parks have a rhythm to their words?  Well, this guy (as well as anyone selling anything in the street) had a major rhythm.  We were afraid we'd be dreaming "Auditorio!" for the rest of the trip!
We finally got going and after we reached Chapultepec Park, I asked if we were at the stop yet.  The driver looked at me like I was crazy, but then once we got there, he turned around and said, "This is it."  I was thankful.  That's the issue with buses; you just never know!
From the stop, we re-consulted the map and started walking toward the Anthropology Museum, asking for confirmation from locals on our way there.  We got through the security and were walking in as it had already started (9:32).  I of course was bummed as I had pictured being the first through the doors and getting the best seats in the house.  We did okay, though.  We were on the second row.  We were right next to the wall, but I think if we were going to be that close, being next to the wall actually was better than being in the center.

I absolutely LOVED this two hour event.  Of course it made me wish I still danced.  Of course my wheels were turning with how to present this to my students in Nashville.  Mostly, though, I was just in awe of their talent and abilities!
I think the woman next to me was severely irritated at my constant need for pictures.  I took my good Nikon and was so glad I had it.  I snapped about ten shots at least with every dance they did.  Ashley was put on video duty, though I think recording videos was actually prohibited.  I'm not certain, but I think so.  Oops!
Each dance was from a different state or region in Mexico and had some cultural meaning behind it.  They had brochures with the descriptions, but of course, arriving late, we didn't see them until we were leaving.  That didn't matter.  I didn't have to know where each dance came from to appreciate it.  
I absolutely was taken aback at the dresses.  The colors were amazing and they truly added to the dances.  I would say a third of the dance was the actual foot work- the visual aspect of the footwork.  Another third was the sound of their feet- the rhythm they created to the music.  The final third was the visual presentation with the skirts and other accessories.
There was a live band on stage at all times.  Depending on the music, there would be anywhere from 5-15 guys on the right side of the stage singing and playing.  That made it really cool.  
During the dancers' break, four men came out with a marimba and played several songs all on the same marimba.  One man played with four sticks and another with three.  The other two men only had the two.  It was really incredible and took me back to my high school days!
Just to give you an idea, I only uploaded about a fourth of the pictures I took.  The video clips are all at least a minute long, so they would take forever to upload.  I'm really excited about making some sort of DVD for classroom use!
After the show, we walked around outside.  We decided we weren't interested in the Anthropology Museum.  It got great marks in the book, but artifacts don't really float my boat.  Outside the museum, though, is part of the Parque Chapultepec, which is more or less Mexico City's Central Park.  Wherever there are trees, there are people selling things to eat or drink.  We walked up to one of the vendors and she was selling aguas, or flavored non-carbonated drinks.  I knew I would be super-content with an horchata, so that's what I got.  Ashley decided on a strawberry drink.  We each got about a liter (the only size there was) for 10 pesos I think.  My horchata was delicious as usual.  Ashley's strawberry drink was phenomenal!  I would've never tried it if she hadn't been there to order it.  It had strawberry seeds in it, condensed milk, and probably some water.  It was delicious.
We walked around some and saw that there was a bike race that day in the park, so up that street, all the vendors were selling biking clothes and accessories.  We made our way through some other trees, sipping along the way.  
When we got to the bus stop, we weren't sure which micro to get on and which way and so on, so we asked a man standing outside a hotel.  He told us we'd have to walk quite a bit more and cross some big streets, so we headed that way, but ended up in a 20 peso taxi.  Have I mentioned how much I love this country?  And how hard it's going to be to re-enter the expensive world of the USA?!
Back at the hotel, we needed to get changed and ready for the afternoon's events: lunch and soccer game!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I can't believe how crisp your pictures are. Dresses are amazing.