Saturday, April 25, 2009

Oh, Starbucks

So in the DF airport, there are two terminals.  T1 and T2.  Original, right?  One of them is the International terminal and the other is National.  I may have them swapped by number, but for the purposes of this blog, it just won't matter.
I arrive about 15 minutes early.  That's fine.  We had decided a time (1.5 hours after arrival) that if we hadn't found each other, we would just go on to the hotel in separate taxis.  As I'm grabbing my luggage, I put it all on a cart and make my way to the exit.  I know for sure that Ashley's flight arrives to Terminal 1.  I figure that makes it the international one and that I will have to take the shuttle there from my terminal (2), since I'm coming from Manzanillo, Mexico.  Just to be sure and to avoid major issues, I check with the kind guard standing between the suitcases and exits (who tells me I can't take the cart outta there- what good is a cart if you have to leave it behind when you still have miles to walk?!) and he informs me I'm in Terminal 1.  Interesting.  So maybe I was wrong?  No, I triple checked it.  She arrived to Terminal 1.  I asked him if it would be possible for her to arrive from Texas to this terminal.  Depends on her airline and city.  Good thing I couldn't remember either of those!  So I went out and looked for the Starbucks and found it immediately.  The bad news was that it was the walking version of a drive thru.  It had enough space for a single file line- no suitcases- and that was it.  There were no seats, tables, anything.  Fine by me, I parked it on the ground smack dab in front of it.  That way Ashley couldn't miss me.  I had one large suitcase on either side of me, my backpack within arm's reach and my purse in my lap.  I got out my computer to pass the time and sent Ashley a text (through sprint.com) and an email.  I had told her to turn her phone on in case of emergency.  I was hoping something would go through.
I logged onto Facebook and gmail and chatted for the next 30-45 minutes until I realized I had an email from her saying she was out and waiting at Starbucks.  Cool that Mexico City International Airport has no less than a thousand Starbucks!  I was at Puerta A and she was at Puerta G.  I emailed her back: "Don't move.  I'll be there as soon as I can."
The good news was she had arrived.  The other good news was we could go together in one taxi.  The bad news was I had a bunch of stuff to roll/drag/carry through 6 gates in a very large international airport.

No comments: