Saturday, April 25, 2009

All in a day's flights

The Manzanillo airport is not exactly in Manzanillo, which would've been nice to know before we left the house, but...
Fernando was set to be at the house (from the hotel) at 10:30 so I could be at the airport for my 12:30 flight.  I set the alarm for 9 so I could get some packing done and shower.  It's a good thing I set the alarm.  We were all completely beat from the week's events and no one even flinched when I got up to shower.
I did my thing and went down for a bowl of cereal.  Adriana had arrived and was cleaning.  We had a long conversation about Mom's visit, about my friends in Culiacán, and about the program.  She's definitely a mother and told me I needed to eat more for breakfast than a bowl of cereal!  At 10, Liliana was awake (probably from all my racket from packing).  When Fer got there at 10:35 on the dot (with Norma, Europa and Daniel), they rang the bell outside the gate (which is different from a doorbell- this is an actual BELL) forEVER.  I assumed it would wake the whole house.  I completely underestimated the power of way too much to drink coupled with way too little sleep.
I'm not certain everyone knew who they were, but they all came to tell me goodbye after Liliana pounded on their doors!
Topete came shuffling in his characteristic swagger and said, "Have fun in Tennessee."  I informed him that I wouldn't be in Tennessee and he responded, "They told me to say goodbye to Laura, so I just assumed you were going to Tennessee."  He needed more sleep.  And more water.  And less beer.
The whole house gathered around and gave me my goodbye kisses.  I really really love that tradition.  You can't leave without saying goodbye, and you have to give your kisses.  Who am I?!
We made our way to the airport and I arrived almost exactly one hour ahead of my departure time.  Of course, that was still too much, but they say to be there.  I grabbed a coca light, a newspaper, and some souvenirs and sat down to send some emails.  I sent a couple to Ashley trying to coordinate our meet-up.  We both arrived within ten minutes of each other, but she would need to go through customs.  I knew which terminal she would arrive in, so I told her to stay there and go to the Starbucks.  I would come to her.
The flight was fine.  I slept like a baby as usual.  My arrival was good too.... onto Starbucks.

No comments: