Saturday, July 11, 2009

Mexican Communication

(*Note: written Tuesday evening)

I got a call this morning, okay, almost afternoon, from Maribel.  She had that urgent franticness in her voice that seems to come every time she needs anything.  It’s always needed that exact moment.  She asked me why I hadn’t come by the office.  I was confused.  She had wanted to make a Tres Leches Cake with me one day this week and told me to text her when I got back in town.  I told her Sunday I was back but that I would probably sleep the day away on Monday, but any other day would be good.  No mention of the office.  She was fine with that.  No mention of the office.  Or which day for the cake for that matter.

Needless to say, I was confused with this call.  Since it was nearing time for her to leave the office, and it was evident in my voice that I had not been up for long, she realized I wouldn’t be making it in today.

Turns out there are certificates from the 6th grade test I administered months ago it seems.  They have to be delivered to the 6th graders.  I assumed they were out of school since the 3rd was the last day, but she said I had to come pick them up and deliver them.

Well, I got frantic as usual.  Then I told myself to chill out.  If it didn’t happen, ni modo (oh well).  It’s going to happen.  I’m going to take Alma to work in the morning and then use her car to run my errands.  But the “teach them a lesson” gringa in me says, why did I work it out?  Why didn’t I just tell them I couldn’t?  Maribel was telling me this about the certificates as if I’d been told 15 times.  When I asked her how I Was suppsosed to know this she said, well, you hadn’t been told, but remember we were waiting for the certificates for the event.  No, actually, I didn’t remember that, and how waiting for the certificates for an event I wouldn’t even attend has correlation to my delivering them to school tomorrow, I’m still not sure.  Anyway, while there are so many things about this country, city, place that I will miss, the education system, school, and complete and total lack of organization within it (and consequently within the lives of most of its citizens) are not among them.

1 comment:

MOM said...

thus your planner :)