Thursday, July 9, 2009

Touring with the Tourmaster

Tim is a travel writer (which I think is just a super cool job!).  Touring with him, though, isn't an experience.  I don't mean that in a good way or in a bad way.  It's a neutral statement.  I guess I somewhat expected to hear him rattle off facts of the city.  Or drone on Bill Stein-like about who knows what.  But it was just like being with anyone else.
We headed to the bus stop and took the city bus up to the Mummy Museum.  That's right.  There's a museum in Guanajuato chock full of bodies they exhumed from a church in the early 1900s I think.  Because of the location they were buried, their bodies were preserved far better than anyone had planned.  You'll see.  Legend has it that if a family couldn't keep paying the plot fee, the body was exhumed to make room for a paying customer.  Awesome.
We got off the bus and made our way up yet another hill.  We had to stop to enjoy the view.  Unfortunately, it was overcast, so this picture doesn't do it justice (though no picture in teh best of conditions does this place justice).
We paid our 50 pesos, highway robbery for a museum in Guanajuato (Diego's house was 15 pesos I think- but also a let down).
It was interesting, different, and dare I say it, WEIRD.
One of many along a wall of mummies.
Alina and I do our best mummy pose for the yearbook.
This was the worst one for me.  She was buried alive, likely on accident.  That's preserved dead skin you're looking at.
This one was a close second.  Or maybe a tie.  A mother and her fetus.
Here was attempt two at a yearbook picture.  We'll see if we make the cut!
I had to document this guy sticking out his tongue.
When we left, it was much brighter, and I got some shots I wanted.  Isn't it just a charming little town?
Unfortunately, this is the only picture of Tim I have.  
After we took in the view again, we boarded the city bus back to the mercado and sat down for some lunch.  I should've had the local dish of enchiladas mineras miners' enchiladas, but Donna had convinced me that they were your typical enchiladas.  I asked the woman if the mole was good or if something else would be better.  She gave me a taste of the mole and I was sold.
As I was finishing, she asked me if I liked beans.  I said yes and she served me some!  No charge.
We headed back to the house and I decided to go for a massage.  Donna had shown me a pamphlet of a place close to the apartment.  I decided on a 30 minute shiatsu and a 30 minute facial.  400 pesos later (total) I was relaxed and exfoliated.  That was my first massage and facial experience.  I could get used to it.  I was cracking up that even the receptionist spoke softly.
I made my way back to the house for a shower and some reading and board games before dinner a la Donna.

No comments: