Saturday, July 11, 2009

Sorpresa

(*Note: written Tuesday night)

Mayra and I went to see The Proposal last night (Monday night) and I loved it.  I absolutely loved it.  Though I thought Sandra Bullock seemed too old for the guy.  But it’s okay. Age difference was just the elephant in the movie for me.

Anyway, as we were on our way there, Mayra blurts out that there’s a surprise going away party for me on Saturday but she didn’t want me to up and go off to some other Mexican destination because I hadn’t been warned.  Clearly these Mexicans have never pulled off a surprise, and why would they have?  That takes communication and organization.  Neither of which the country is known for!

She has a point.  I very easily could’ve gotten an invite from someone on Friday or Saturday to do something and I would’ve gone, ruining all their “plans.”  I have yet to explain that you just get the surprisee to commit to something for that time period and then actually pull off the surprise.

However, this mumbling seems like I’m unappreciative.  I’m so excited they’re doing it for me.  I could think of no better way I’d want to leave this country than with great memories of a party with my friends that was created with me in mind.  Just me.  Not some shared birthday party.  Not a typical Mexican party that you throw for yourself.  A celebration of me.

I’m going to miss them.  Surprise-ruining and all.

No comments: