Thursday, July 9, 2009

One final summit

I had given Donna permission to wake me at 730 so we could climb up to the Pípila one more time and take a walk/jog.  When I woke up and was super dizzy from exhaustion, I should've rethought my decision.  But alas, we went.  It felt good to be pushed to get to the top.  Then we ended up just walking.  I wasn't in the running mood.  There was still a gradual climb on the road.  
About an hour later, we were back at the apartment.  I went to get money out of the bank and too a few pictures on the way.  This is of Cervantes.  There is a Cervantes festival every fall in Guanajuato.  That was one of those things I was so jealous of my Fulbright colleagues about.  Many of them went because they were so close.  I would've had to have missed school (I know we think that wouldn't have been a problem, but I missed a lot!) and at that time I wasn't aware how easy it was to piece together a flight plus a bus trip.  As a side note, when Shania flew to Chicago with Fulbright, her sister and cousin stayed behind until it was time to get to Michigan so she wouldn't be stuck with the flights to and from DC and housing.  For that same reason, Yuri's husband didn't arrive in Nashville until we were back there.  Anyway, Shania found much cheaper flights for her sister and cousin to Indiana, where Beatriz was, so she bought those tickets for them, thinking they'd just hop in a taxi to the bus station and get a bus to Michigan.  
This singing man is something Guanajuato is known for.  They have an official name, but my Culichi friends all asked me if I'd been callejoneando- alleying.  You pay for a ticket to follow these musicians through the town.  They stop several times, inspiring the group to dance and then telling jokes and stories.  When Donna and I had gone shopping on Tuesday night, we caught the tail end of one of the groups and decided that was enough.  In the old days, it wasn't a tourist event, it was just what happened in the town.  There was wine and music.  Now there's Tang and a ticket.
After the pictures, I decided to get one more massage (this one just legs since I'd been walking on inclines for three days).  It hit the spot.  I went back, got my shower, and left the house at 11 in search of a taxi.  I figured I'd miss the 11:30 bus, but went in hopes anyway.  There was another at 12:30 if I did happen to miss it.  As luck would have it, I made it.  I must've been quite the spectacle with my rolling suitcase, packed backpack, J-Lo hat, pillow, purse, and plastic bag with my pottery!  Tourist!  Coming through!

No comments: