Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Francesca

So Alina made friends with a spoiled little brat from California named Francesca.  That's probably not fair; I knew her all of two days.  But I heard stories. 
You'll recall that I said Alina was running out of books to read.  And that we had played some board games.  Well, Francesca from California was only in Guanajuato for three weeks, but brought not one single book.  She had not one single game.  That is unless you count the Wii and Nintendo DS.  So her face was glued to a screen when she wasn't in language school.
Now I'm not a parent.  I'm just a teacher.  And I'm guessing that if I ever have kids, I will fall victim to the tv, the electronic games, etc.  All those things I loathe because I see what kinds of students it makes I'm sure I'll fall back on.  However, three weeks in a foreign country with lots to do seems a little much to bring a Wii for goodness sake!

To the real story.  After my site-seeing on Tuesday (and book buying), I got home and Donna said that Francesca's mom had called and her husband was fixing ceviche if we wanted to come over.  He's a famous chef, or at least very successful.  We said yes.
Interestingly enough, here I was about to eat seafood after I had completely banished the thought for lunch.

The ceviche Isak had fixed was made with squid.  And because of the hour (1am Thurs morning), I'm having a hard time remembering the pretty word for that.
Anyway, I ate enough in Spain to do me for a lifetime, but I was hungry enough to try this famous stuff.

One had an asian flavor with some soy sauce.  It was good.
The other had mango.  It was pretty much divine.  I had to stop when Isak went on and on about how he left it so raw that most people wouldn't eat it.  
That's not all he said.  By the end of the night, I was pretty much sick of hearing him talk about himself.  He made "the best guacamole you'll ever taste" because he layered the lime juice and olive oil and I don't even remember what else.  I disagreed because I've grown to like my guac a little bit stirred instead of straight avocado chunks, but whatever dude.  They pay you the big bucks to please the crowds (he told me on more then one occasion).
My goodness I was glad when we had to get back so Donna could feed Alina and so we would be in the house when Tim got in!
After I left, I semi regretted not getting his last name or contact in case I'm in California.  It seems he's pretty wealthy and powerful.  They were staying at this house for three weeks (he just came for the last one, naturally) for free because some business associate owed him a ridiculous amount of money.  They were going to be using the Guanajuato house for the next ten years.  Interesting.
Also, along the lines of last names.  He dissected Klapheke.  I wish I could remember what he said it had to be.  Had to be.  Please.  And then I explained that Mom had gone from the only Klapheke in the phone book to the only Ambach.  He proceeded to tell me that we were Welsh.  Every Berry is Welsh.  He didn't even touch Ambach.
I was so irritated.  I don't do well with people whose accomplishments and coolness speak for themselves, but who completely shatter both of those things by dousing you with that information with their own mouths.  Ugh!
Donna was more than in agreement.  "I had predicted he would be completely full of himself!"
She was right.  I was glad to be back in the East Nashville hood of Guanajuato.

No comments: