Saturday, July 11, 2009

More misery

I slept well that night, but not enough to make up for over a week's worth of terrible sleep.  I continued the crabby habit.  The good news was, for the tour, I was "stuck" on the smaller truck; there were only 8-10 of us.  That made it much more bearable!  
Our first outing was to an old house, hotel, servant quarters, and hospital.  If you ask me, it was a bunch of run down, empty buildings with bat caca all over every visible surface.  It was getting hotter and stayed humid from the day before.  At the third building that looked exactly the same (yet apparently needed to be documented with another mostly-group picture, I was thankful I wasn't in the US, because I would've snapped some serious sarcastic remarks at just about every turn.  Instead I tried to be thankful I was still on my year-long Mexican adventure.
We got back on the trucks and went to see some parrots.  Again, could've done without that.
Finally, we looked at some mines.  As in, we drove up and saw the train stop and the entrance.  Then we drove away.  I wanted to kiss the drivers at that point.
At 1, we had to check out of the hotel, so we did.  We sent some men for lunch and headed to the Vado Ondo (pronounced bah-DOAN-doe), which was the waterfall I went to with Mabel.  I was ready to jump in and get rid of my sweatiness, but no one swam.  And honestly, the water looked murky.  I didn't really get it because this was rainy season and it seemed to me it should've been cleaner than it was in October, but what do I know?
Shortly after, the chicken and blue corn tortillas arrived.  Mexicanism took over again and I had to remind myself that I was, in fact, in Mexico, and that I had to play by their rules.  Well, I couldn't play by their rules, so I at least let myself not get annoyed that everyone was knocking me over to get to the food, pushing each other out of the way, and not concerned in the least at making sure everyone got a little before taking way more than their share.
I had two very full tacos and couldn't complain.

While the lunch group went up the waterfall (we had already been while waiting for them to bring lunch), we asked the araña driver (the word means spider, but also refers to these trucks with seats in the back) if he would take us back to the main road to get in the charter bus.  He obliged.  Again I wanted to kiss him.
We waited less than 20 minutes for the other group to catch up to us.  Shortly after, we were on our way.  I found it mildly humorous that no one asked to stop at an Oxxo or to take a picture now that it was time to get back.  
I had my front seat again, and while the road was very curvy, I pulled out my book and began to read...

1 comment:

Mom said...

UH-oh - Ossa Lala was still on the prowl! :)