Wednesday, August 6, 2008

A Very Wongderful Day (tribute to Bewley)

It has been a very fast paced two days.
Yesterday was the US teachers' day off. Since the Mexico team had been here since Sunday, we had the whole day; other teachers were arriving on Tuesday. Since I hadn't gotten a chance to see the Holocaust Museum this weekend, I decided to spend some quality time there on Tuesday. Yuri had meetings starting at 8, so as she walked out the door, I rolled out of bed.
I got ready and headed downtown. It was nice to really know where I was, where I was going, and how to get there. I got to the museum and got my (free) ticket for 11:30. In my wait time (from 10:15 to 11:30), I saw the Olympic Exhibit in the downstairs and time flew. I read every plaque, saw every photograph, and watched as many videos as possible (minus all the medical experiments). After three hours, it was time to leave. The most important part to me was the video at the end of all the survivors. I made sure I saved time for that. My emotions, somehow, were in check even at the end. Then I walked into the Memory Hall. It was a circular room with quotes on the wall and a flame in the middle. I lost it. Appropriately.

I gathered myself and headed to the Metro to get back for the dinner.

I got back in way more than enough time and took a leisurely shower, made some phone calls, and got ready. Let me say, when the government puts on a dinner, they do not mess around! Everyone cleaned up so nicely, all the State people were in suits, etc, and the place looked incredible! The Mexican team all sat together in three round tables in a room set for 400 or so. Our first speaker was ridiculously boring and non-applicable. Then it was time to eat, so we had delicious salmon with some sauce, crunchy green beans (which I like), and rice. We listened to the National Teacher of the Year, and she was much more interesting. She's from Jackson, Mississippi, so I listened intently, thinking of Kate. Then they released us for the dessert...and wine as well as a paying liquor bar. It seemed very strange to see alcohol at a "school function," but at the same time, seemed totally appropriate at a multi-cultural affair.

I met some people who are going to France from California who worked in Nashville for some time. The wife had taught at Overton while Dr. Hammond was principal, and the husband had worked at Channel 4. It was fun to talk to them. I also ate some very yummy things.

Two mood-ruiners. First, an elderly man whose son will be on exchange and he's traveling with him passed out and the ambulance (and fire trucks) had to come. Then, twenty minutes later, the fire alarm went off, so we evacuated. When we came back in from that, the party had simmered, so Team Mexico went to the bar to hang out. Again, forty minutes later, the alarm went off. We stayed put.

I finally came up to bed around 11, but Yuri and I stayed up yet again!

This morning, my alarm was set for 7 so I could go to breakfast at 7:30 and then jet over to the other hotel to hear Harry Wong at 8:15. At 7:52, Shania knocked on the door. I was still dreaming, so I was happy that Yuri was answering. Then I looked at the clock, bolted out of bed, threw on some clothes and make-up and SPRINTED to the elevator.

I was out of breath and tense when I arrived to the first floor, but was ecstatic to see many of my colleagues chilling at their table. I grabbed a quick bite, and we made it to the other hotel.

I picked up my complimentary copy of The First Days of School and sat. I was pumped to see Harry Wong. His wife, and co-author, came with him and she spoke for a few minutes. He spoke for three hours. It was interesting, common sense that we need to hear many times, and it was fun knowing it was actually the Harry Wong!!!

Then we broke for lunch...other hotel. Then we had a meeting about other Fulbright opportunities and such. Back to first hotel....meeting with each country to discuss specific classroom management strategies. Back to other hotel...discussion for all USians on how to teach your language somewhere else as well as Mexicans and Francophones for how to teach their language in the States. Back to Holiday Inn for dinner and free night.

I have been SCOURING craigslist looking for possible dwelling places for my darling new Mexican friend to no avail... Think very happy thoughts, and call your connections in East Nashville!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So where would that great allen county accent get you that you learned in high school. Great reading keep us updated and entertained.

A

Leslie Ware said...

Are you sure you don't need my house as an emergency backup? Yuri can totally stay with us until you find a place closer to school...

Leslie